About This Chapter
Mathematics in Science - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll learn about one of the most useful methods scientists use to predict outcomes--the unit rate. You'll be introduced to the concept of inverse variation and learn what makes something inversely proportional. You'll also learn about probability, as well as ratios and proportions.
Other lessons in this chapter cover the measures of central tendency, including median, mean, range and mode. You'll also learn about how fractions and percent are related to one another. After you've reviewed this chapter, you should be able to:
- Find the rate of change to predict outcomes
- Write algebraic equations for inverse variations
- Apply ratios and proportions to real-life situations
- Calculate the mean, median, mode and range of a data set
- Turn a fraction into a percent and a percent into a fraction
- Solve percentage word problems
Learn quickly and easily by watching our engaging videos and taking the accompanying quizzes to ensure you understand the material. If you need to re-watch a section of a video again, use the video tabs in the Timeline to skip to the topic in the video you need to review. To review the lesson any time, use the printable video transcript.
1. How to Find the Unit Rate
If we are going to use math to predict outcomes, one of the most useful measures we can establish is the unit rate of change. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the rate of change and apply the formula to real-life examples.
2. Inversely Proportional: Definition, Formula & Examples
In this lesson, you will understand the definition of the term 'inversely proportional' and be able to write the algebraic expressions for inverse variations. You will also be able to apply the inverse variation relationships to solve different types of problems.
3. What is Probability in Math? - Definition & Overview
Remember throwing a quarter and calling out heads or tails? Learn what this has to do with probability. Also learn how you can use your newly-learned skills from this lesson to help you decide whether you should play heads or tails at all!
4. Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how ratios and proportions are related. Also, learn how ratios and proportions are used in real life and how you can apply them to yours.
5. How to Calculate Mean, Median, Mode & Range
Measures of central tendency can provide valuable information about a set of data. In this lesson, explore how to calculate the mean, median, mode and range of any given data set.
6. Converting Fractions to Percents & Back
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how to turn any fraction into a percent and vice versa. You will learn how they are related and how to write your answers properly.
7. How to Solve Word Problems That Use Percents
100 percent of percent problems can be solved if we follow the correct steps. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of different percent problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GCSE Biology: Practice & Study Guide course
- The Process of Scientific Thinking
- Steps of the Scientific Method
- Analyzing & Evaluating Scientific Data
- Scientific Vocabulary & Measurement
- Cell Structure & Differentiation
- Understanding Cell Division
- Understanding Cell Transportation
- Basic Components of Living Things
- Structure & Function of the Digestive System
- The Human Circulatory System
- Non-Communicable Diseases Overview
- Communicable Disease Overview
- Disease Defense, Prevention & Treatment
- Plant Tissues & Organs
- Plant Disease & Defenses
- Homeostasis & the Human Body
- Human Nervous System Overview
- Hormones in the Endocrine & Urinary Systems
- Hormones & Reproduction
- Plant Hormones
- Sexual & Asexual Reproduction
- DNA Structure & Genomes
- Genetic Inheritance
- Genetics Disorders
- Genetic Variation & Evolution
- Genetic Engineering & Cloning
- Theories of Biology
- Evidence Supporting Evolution
- Classification of Living Organisms
- Ecology & Biodiversity
- Trophic Levels & Biomass Energy
- Nutrient Cycles in an Ecosystem
- Human Impacts on Biodiversity & Ecosystems
- Food Production & Sustainability
- GCSE Biology Flashcards