About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Matrices & Absolute Value chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Matrices||Matrix brackets, rows and columns; arithmetic operations with matrices|
|Tuesday||Determinants||Methods for calculating the determinant of a square matrix|
|Wednesday||Absolute value expressions||Absolute value notation; methods for evaluating and solving absolute value expressions and equations|
|Thursday||Graphs of absolute value equations||Methods for graphing the standard form of an absolute value equation|
|Friday||Transformations||Translations, dilations and reflections of an absolute value's graph|
1. What is a Matrix?
As math gets more and more complicated and there become more and more numbers flying around, it becomes really handy to put all these numbers in a nice organized grid... hello matrices! Learn about what they are and why there are used.
2. How to Take a Determinant of a Matrix
Matrices are incredibly powerful and can help you do all sorts of things, but one of the most basic (and surprisingly helpful) operations you can perform on one is to take its determinant. Learn how to do that here!
3. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
4. How to Evaluate Absolute Value Expressions
Substituting values into absolute values doesn't have to be too hard, but it can be if you're given deceiving beginning information. See if you're up to it by checking out this video!
5. How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation
Once you get familiar with any new operation, the next step in any algebra class is to learn how to solve equations with that operation in them. Absolute values are no different. Solve absolute value equations here!
6. Solving Absolute Value Practice Problems
There are many easy mistakes to make when solving absolute value equations. Learn how to avoid those mistakes here by working on examples of absolute value equations with operations on the inside and the outside of the absolute value.
7. How to Graph an Absolute Value and Do Transformations
Absolute value graphs normally look like the letter 'V', but transformations can change that 'V' in a number of different ways. As well as teaching you how to graph absolute values, this video will focus on a specific group of transformations called translations. Learn all about what that means here!
8. Graphing Absolute Value Equations: Dilations & Reflections
Although a basic absolute value graph isn't complicated, transformations can make them sufficiently confusing! In this lesson, you'll practice different transformations of absolute value graphs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the College Algebra Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Foundations & Linear Equations: College Algebra Lesson Plans
- Inequalities: College Algebra Lesson Plans
- FOIL, Parabolas & Quadratics: College Algebra Lesson Plans
- Complex Numbers: College Algebra Lesson Plans
- Exponents & Polynomials: College Algebra Lesson Plans
- Functions: College Algebra Lesson Plans
- Rational Expressions: College Algebra Lesson Plans
- Exponentials & Logarithms: College Algebra Lesson Plans
- Probability Mechanics: College Algebra Lesson Plans
- Sequences & Series: College Algebra Lesson Plans