About This Chapter
MCAS ST&E Chemistry: Atomic Structure - Chapter Summary
Take advantage of resources like video lessons, self-assessment quizzes and more to ensure you're prepared to address atomic structure on the MCAS - Science and Technology/Engineering High School Chemistry test. Once you've completed this chapter, you will be ready for the following:
- Sharing the meaning of the atom, the Bohr model and atomic spectra
- Discussing early atomic theory
- Defining quantum theory
- Explaining atomic number and mass number
- Demonstrating your knowledge of isotopes and average atomic mass
- Providing the definition of the law of conservation of mass
- Describing electron configurations in atomic energy levels
After choosing your first atomic structure lesson in this chapter, scroll along the right-hand sidebar to select more lessons in any sequence you'd prefer. Review the lessons in the form of videos or text transcripts that feature helpful vocabulary words. Self-assessment quizzes are available to test your comprehension of atomic structure. If you have questions about lesson topics, feel free to submit them to our experts.
1. The Atom
Tune into this lesson to find out what matters about matter. What exactly is an atom? And, how do the atoms that make up the elements in the periodic table differ from one another?
2. The Bohr Model and Atomic Spectra
Do you ever wonder where light comes from or how it is produced? In this lesson, we are going to use our knowledge of the electron configurations and quantum numbers to see what goes on during the creation of light.
3. Early Atomic Theory: Dalton, Thomson, Rutherford and Millikan
Imagine firing a bullet at a piece of tissue paper and having it bounce back at you! You would probably be just as surprised as Rutherford when he discovered the nucleus. In this lesson, we are going to travel back in time and discuss some of the major discoveries in the history of the atom.
4. Quantum Theory: Definition & Examples
After watching this lesson you will be able to explain what quantum theory is, including some key principles and scenarios, and list some applications of quantum theory. A short quiz will follow..
5. Atomic Number and Mass Number
Atoms are the basic building blocks of everything around you. In order to really understand how atoms combine to form molecules, it's necessary to be familiar with their structure. In this lesson, we'll dissect atoms so we can see just what really goes into those little building blocks of matter.
6. Isotopes and Average Atomic Mass
When you drink a glass of water, you are actually drinking a combination of heavy water and light water. What's the difference? Is it harmful? This video will explain the difference between the two types of water and go into detail on the significance of the different isotopes of elements.
7. The Law of Conservation of Mass: Definition, Equation & Examples
Read about the law of conservation of mass, its role in chemistry, and its importance in the universe. Learn the equation, review examples, and test your knowledge of the material with a short quiz.
8. Electron Configurations in Atomic Energy Levels
This lesson will explain what the electrons are doing inside the atom. Tune in to find out how we specify where they are located and how this location description will help us predict an element's properties.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MCAS - Science & Technology-Engineering - Chemistry: Test Prep & Practice course
- MCAS ST&E Chemistry: Matter & Energy
- MCAS ST&E Chemistry: Nuclear Chemistry
- MCAS ST&E Chemistry: The Periodic Table
- MCAS ST&E Chemistry: Types of Chemical Bonds
- MCAS ST&E Chemistry: Chemical Compounds & Bonds
- MCAS ST&E Chemistry: Stoichiometry & Chemical Equations
- MCAS ST&E Chemistry: Properties & Laws of Gases
- MCAS ST&E Chemistry: Thermodynamics
- MCAS ST&E Chemistry: Solutions
- MCAS ST&E Chemistry: Chemical Reactions
- MCAS ST&E Chemistry: Chemical Equilibrium
- MCAS ST&E Chemistry: Acids, Bases, Oxidation & Reduction
- MCAS ST&E Chemistry: Scientific Method & Inquiry
- MCAS ST&E Chemistry: Laboratory Equipment & Techniques
- MCAS ST&E Chemistry: Mathematics Principles in Chemistry
- MCAS - Science & Technology-Engineering - Chemistry Flashcards