About This Chapter
MCAS STE Biology: Classification & Evolution - Chapter Summary
Prepare for the MCAS STE Biology exam by studying biological evolution and how we identify and classify living organisms and species. By the end of this chapter you will have explored:
- Taxonomy: the classification of living things
- How prokaryotes evolved including archaebacteria and eubacteria
- Evolution of protists
- How animals, plants and fungi have evolved over time
- Methods of nutrition in the six kingdoms
The video lessons have been developed by professional educators to help you retain the information easily and effectively. Use the timeline below each video to help you quickly find a particular section of the lesson that you would like to review. Take the self-assessment quiz at the end of each lesson to apply your knowledge.
MCAS STE Biology: Classification & Evolution Chapter Objectives
The MCAS STE Biology exam is a standardized test given to high school students in Massachusetts. The exam assesses students' ability to meet the educational learning standards in biology established by the Massachusetts Curriculum Framework. The exam is scored based on five main content areas. The lessons in this chapter will prepare you for questions related to evolution and biodiversity, which account for 20% of the final score.
The exam contains 40 multiple-choice questions and 5 open-ended questions. The MCAS STE Biology exam is one of four Science and Technology/Engineering exams taken by high school students in Massachusetts. A score of 220 or higher is required on one of the four STE exams to qualify for graduation.
1. Taxonomy: Classification and Naming of Living Things
The name you give to a living thing may be completely different than the name someone else uses. In science, we use a common naming system for all living things to avoid confusion. This lesson will explore the basics of our classification system.
2. The Evolution of Prokaryotes: Archaebacteria and Eubacteria
The first living organisms on Earth were bacteria. These small organisms still exist today and are responsible for many things. In this lesson, we will explore both ancient bacteria and true bacteria.
3. The Evolution of Protists: Importance & Evolutionary History
Some organisms are very familiar. However, there are some that play vital roles in our lives that we don't even think about. We will look at a group of one of these unfamiliar kingdoms - protists.
4. The Evolution of Plants and Fungi: Characteristics & Evolutionary History
In early classification systems, plants and fungi were grouped together. While there are some similarities between these two kingdoms, there are some key differences that we will explore.
5. The Evolution of Animals: Importance & Evolutionary History
The animal kingdom ranges from simple organisms like sponges to complex organisms like humans. We will look at some defining characteristics of animals as well as examples of both invertebrates and vertebrates.
6. Modes of Nutrition in The Six Kingdoms
Learn about the six kingdoms that make up life on earth, and the different ways that they create energy to live. See how productively you've used your energy by taking a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MCAS - Science & Technology-Engineering - Biology: Test Prep & Practice course
- MCAS STE Biology: Chemistry of Life
- MCAS STE Biology: Enzymatic Biochemistry
- MCAS STE Biology: Organelles
- MCAS STE Biology: Cellular Structure & Transport
- MCAS STE Biology: Cellular Respiration & Photosynthesis
- MCAS STE Biology: Cell Growth & Reproduction
- MCAS STE Biology: DNA Replication
- MCAS STE Biology: Transcription & Translation
- MCAS STE Biology: Genetics & Heredity
- MCAS STE Biology: Digestive & Circulatory Systems
- MCAS STE Biology: Nervous & Endocrine Systems
- MCAS STE Biology: Respiratory & Musculoskeletal Systems
- MCAS STE Biology: The Reproductive System
- MCAS STE Biology: Evolution & Biodiversity
- MCAS STE Biology: Ecology
- MCAS STE Biology: Scientific Method & Inquiry
- MCAS STE Biology: The Science Lab
- MCAS STE Biology: Using Mathematics in Science
- MCAS - Science & Technology-Engineering - Biology Flashcards