About This Chapter
MCAS STE Biology: Enzymatic Biochemistry - Chapter Summary
Enzymes are the catalysts for biological processes that help us sustain life. In this chapter you will review the various roles that enzymes play in chemical reactions so you can feel prepared for questions about enzymes on the MCAS STE Biology exam. In this chapter you will explore:
- Exactly what enzymes are
- Substrates, active sites and activation energy
- Environmental effects of enzymes
- Inhibition and regulation on enzyme activity
Each lesson contains a video to provide visual explanations and illustrate the material in detail. Below each video you will find a timeline you can use to return to a certain portion of the lesson that you may need to review. Take the self-assessment quiz at the end of each lesson to test your knowledge and see how questions may look on the exam.
MCAS STE Biology: Enzymatic Biochemistry Chapter Objectives
The MCAS STE Biology exam is a standardized test designed to assess whether or not high school students meet the educational standards in biology set by the Massachusetts Curriculum Framework. The test has five main content areas related to biology, with questions in this chapter covered in the biochemistry and cell biology portion of the exam. Questions in this content area account for 25% of the total score.
The MCAS STE Biology exam is one of four Science and Technology/Engineering exams. The exam consists of 40 multiple-choice questions and 5 open-ended responses. A score of 220 or higher is needed on one of the four STE exams to qualify for graduation.
1. What are Enzymes? - Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, you will discover what enzymes are, explore how they work, and learn why they're needed for your cells' day-to-day functions. The lesson concludes with a quiz to test your knowledge.
2. Function of Enzymes: Substrate, Active Site & Activation Energy
In this lesson, we'll learn how enzymes function to lower the activation energy of a chemical reaction. Enzymes bind to their substrates to perform all kinds of important and essential cellular processes, as well as processes that help you enjoy a slice of pizza!
3. Enzyme Activity & Inhibition: Structure, Substrates, pH & Temperature
Enzymes appreciate the right working conditions. Can you blame them? We all work best in the correct environment. In this lesson, we'll learn how substrate concentration, temperature, and pH affect enzyme activity and structure.
4. Enzymatic Reactions: Inhibition and Regulation
Enzymes are generally not allowed to run uncontrolled in a cell. While they are useful in catalyzing reactions, there is a time and place for everything. In this lesson, we'll discuss enzyme activators and inhibitors that regulate these reactions positively and negatively, respectively.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MCAS - Science & Technology-Engineering - Biology: Test Prep & Practice course
- MCAS STE Biology: Chemistry of Life
- MCAS STE Biology: Organelles
- MCAS STE Biology: Cellular Structure & Transport
- MCAS STE Biology: Classification & Evolution
- MCAS STE Biology: Cellular Respiration & Photosynthesis
- MCAS STE Biology: Cell Growth & Reproduction
- MCAS STE Biology: DNA Replication
- MCAS STE Biology: Transcription & Translation
- MCAS STE Biology: Genetics & Heredity
- MCAS STE Biology: Digestive & Circulatory Systems
- MCAS STE Biology: Nervous & Endocrine Systems
- MCAS STE Biology: Respiratory & Musculoskeletal Systems
- MCAS STE Biology: The Reproductive System
- MCAS STE Biology: Evolution & Biodiversity
- MCAS STE Biology: Ecology
- MCAS STE Biology: Scientific Method & Inquiry
- MCAS STE Biology: The Science Lab
- MCAS STE Biology: Using Mathematics in Science
- MCAS - Science & Technology-Engineering - Biology Flashcards