About This Chapter
MCAS STE Biology: The Reproductive System - Chapter Summary
In this chapter you will explore the anatomy, processes and functions involved in the human reproductive system. After completing the lessons in this chapter, you will have reviewed:
- Sexual reproduction and inheriting genes
- Anatomy and functions of the male reproductive system
- How sperm is produced
- Internal and external anatomy of the female reproductive system
- Oogenesis: the production of female eggs
Each lesson contains a video to help illustrate the material being covered. There is a clickable timeline below each video you can use to review a particular portion of the lesson. The lessons also include a transcript of the video for text-based learning. Don't forget to take the self-assessment quizzes at the end of each lesson to see how well you can apply the information.
MCAS STE Biology: The Reproductive System Chapter Objectives
The MCAS STE Biology exam is a standardized test taken by high school students in Massachusetts that assesses students' level of proficiency in biology as set by the learning standards of the Massachusetts Curriculum Framework. The exam is scored based on five content areas. The lessons in this chapter prepare you for questions in the Anatomy and Physiology section of the exam, which accounts for about 15% of the final score.
The MCAS STE Biology exam is comprised of 40 multiple-choice questions and 5 open-ended questions. The exam is one of four Science and Technology/Engineering exams taken by high school students in Massachusetts. A score of 220 or higher is needed to qualify for graduation.
1. Sexual Reproduction: Inheriting Genes from Each Parent
Organisms reproduce in order to make offspring. With sexual reproduction the offspring get a combination of the genetic material from two parents. Learn how the male and female reproductive cells, called gametes, come together during fertilization.
2. Male Reproductive System: Functions, Organs & Anatomy
Ever wonder what the inside of a male looks like? Find out in this lesson that explores the inner workings of the male reproductive system and the pathway that sperm takes.
3. Spermatogenesis: How the Male Reproductive System Produces Sperm
In this lesson, you'll learn the series of steps necessary to produce a fully functional sperm cell. You'll also look at the structure of a sperm cell and see how it's equipped to venture forth into new territory.
4. Female Reproductive System: Internal Anatomy
Ever wonder where a female produces her eggs or how they get from the ovary to the uterus? Find out in this lesson about the internal reproductive anatomy of females.
5. External Anatomy of the Female Reproductive System
We all know that men and women are different. But just how different are they? Learn a little more about the differences between men and women in this lesson on female external reproductive anatomy.
6. Oogenesis: How the Female Reproductive System Produces Eggs
Did you know that a human female already has all of the oocytes that she will make in her entire life before she is even born? In this lesson, you'll learn how the human body produces an ovum through the process of oogenesis. You'll also learn how polar bodies help to ensure that female gametes are of high quality even though they are not produced in high quantities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MCAS - Science & Technology-Engineering - Biology: Test Prep & Practice course
- MCAS STE Biology: Chemistry of Life
- MCAS STE Biology: Enzymatic Biochemistry
- MCAS STE Biology: Organelles
- MCAS STE Biology: Cellular Structure & Transport
- MCAS STE Biology: Classification & Evolution
- MCAS STE Biology: Cellular Respiration & Photosynthesis
- MCAS STE Biology: Cell Growth & Reproduction
- MCAS STE Biology: DNA Replication
- MCAS STE Biology: Transcription & Translation
- MCAS STE Biology: Genetics & Heredity
- MCAS STE Biology: Digestive & Circulatory Systems
- MCAS STE Biology: Nervous & Endocrine Systems
- MCAS STE Biology: Respiratory & Musculoskeletal Systems
- MCAS STE Biology: Evolution & Biodiversity
- MCAS STE Biology: Ecology
- MCAS STE Biology: Scientific Method & Inquiry
- MCAS STE Biology: The Science Lab
- MCAS STE Biology: Using Mathematics in Science
- MCAS - Science & Technology-Engineering - Biology Flashcards