About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the McDougal Littell Radicals & Geometry Connections chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the radicals and geometry connections topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- What radical functions are
- How to simplify expressions with square roots
- Radicands and radical expressions
- Ways to evaluate square roots of perfect squares
- How to factor radical expressions
- Methods to graph the derivative from any function
- Ways to simplify square roots of powers in radical expressions
- How radical expressions are multiplied and simplified
- Steps to solve radical equations with either one or two radical terms
- The Pythagorean theorem, its converse and special cases
- How the distance and midpoint formulas are used
McDougal Littell is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is a Radical Function? - Definition, Equations & Graphs
Radical functions operate very differently than regular functions. This lesson covers the definitions, equations, and graphs that you will need to know to be successful with radical functions.
2. Simplifying Expressions Containing Square Roots
In order to write radical expressions correctly, they have to be written in their simplest form. This lesson will show you how to simplify expressions containing numbers and variables inside a square root.
3. Radicands and Radical Expressions
It's easy to see that funky radical symbol and panic just a little bit. There are so many rules that go along with it, it's hard to keep up with them all. This lesson will help by describing what you should do when you are faced with a square root.
4. Evaluating Square Roots of Perfect Squares
Squares and square roots are inverse, or opposite, operations involving radicals. Learn how to determine the square root of perfect squares in this lesson.
5. Factoring Radical Expressions
Watch this video lesson to learn how to apply the product rule to your radical expressions. Learn how this product rule actually helps you to simplify your radicals as well.
6. Graphing the Derivative from Any Function
When you know the rules, calculating the derivates of equations is relatively straightforward, although it can be tedious! What happens, though, when you don't know the function? In this lesson, learn how to graph the derivative of a function based solely on a graph of the function!
7. Simplifying Square Roots of Powers in Radical Expressions
Simplifying radical expressions that contain powers can be tricky. There are a few simple rules that will help you perform these simplifications with ease. This lesson will teach you how.
8. Multiplying then Simplifying Radical Expressions
Multiplying 2 or more radical expressions uses the same principles as multiplying polynomials, with a few extra rules for dealing with the radicals. This lesson will teach you how to multiply and then simplify radical expressions.
9. Solving Radical Equations: Steps and Examples
Solving radical equations is not any more difficult than solving other algebraic equations. This lesson will show you how to solve equations containing a square root and give some real-world examples.
10. Solving Radical Equations with Two Radical Terms
Solving equations with two radical terms takes some patience and care, but it really is not difficult. This lesson will show you the steps to solve these more complicated equations plus give you some examples to follow.
11. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
12. The Pythagorean Theorem: Converse and Special Cases
The Pythagorean Theorem is a famous theorem for right triangles. Watch this video to learn how the Pythagorean Theorem relates to the law of cosines and how the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem can help you identify right triangles.
13. How to Use The Distance Formula
You can't always rely on your smartphone to tell you how far you need to travel to get from point A to point B. The distance formula will tell you the distance between any two points on a graph. In this lesson, you'll learn where it comes from and how to use it!
14. How to Use The Midpoint Formula
The formula for the midpoint of a line segment will tell you how to find the middle of any line segment on the x, y plane. Learn about this formula and see how it is used to find the midpoint of a line segment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the McDougal Littell Algebra 1: Online Textbook Help course
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 1: Expressions, Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 2: Properties of Real Numbers
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 3: Solving Linear Equations
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 4: Graphing Linear Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 5: Writing Linear Equations
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 6: Solving & Graphing Linear Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 7: Systems of Linear Equations & Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 8: Exponents & Exponential Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 9: Polynomials & Factoring
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 10: Quadratic Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 12: Rational Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 13: Probability & Data Analysis