About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Properties of Real Numbers chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the properties of real numbers topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students Will Learn:
- Types of numbers
- Graphs of rational numbers
- Notation for decimals, rational numbers and fractions
- Absolute value of real numbers
- Steps for addition, multiplication, subtraction and division
- Distribution in algebra
- Comparison of distributing first and adding first
- Distribution of negative and positive signs
- Estimation, simplification and computation of numbers' square roots
- Distribution of equations with variables and numbers
McDougal Littell Algebra 1 is a registered trademark of McDougal Littell, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. Graphing Rational Numbers on a Number Line
Number lines have many uses both in mathematics and everyday life. This lesson will teach you how to graph numbers on a number line and give real-world examples of how to use number lines.
3. Notation for Rational Numbers, Fractions & Decimals
How do fractions become decimals? And how do decimals become fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about the notation of rational numbers, fractions and decimals and learn how they're related.
4. The Order of Real Numbers: Inequalities
An inequality is an operation describing how one number can be compared to another. This lesson will describe and define inequalities and the symbols used to represent them. It will also give some examples on how to work with inequalities.
5. Finding the Absolute Value of a Real Number
You can find the absolute value of any real number. This lesson will define absolute value, explain what real numbers are and give the steps to finding the absolute value of any real number.
6. How to Perform Addition: Steps & Examples
Addition is one of the basic operations of math. You can say that the whole of mathematics is based on addition. Without addition, we wouldn't have higher math. Watch this video to learn how to add.
7. How to Perform Subtraction: Steps & Examples
Subtraction is one of the basic operations in math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can view and understand subtraction so that you can easily perform it.
8. How to Perform Multiplication: Steps & Examples
Multiplication, one of the basic operations of math, is important not just in elementary math but also in higher math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can multiply with ease.
9. How to Multiply Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson you will be able to multiply any two numbers together. You will learn how to use your knowledge of multiplying smaller numbers together to multiply larger numbers with ease.
10. Why Do We Distribute in Algebra? - Explanation & Examples
What's the purpose of distribution in algebra? In this lesson, we'll find out why we distribute. We'll also look at examples and sample problems that involve basic distribution.
11. Distributing First vs. Adding First: Differences & Examples
When we need to simplify an expression, how do we know if we should distribute first or add first? In this lesson, we'll look at when this matters and how to make the best decision.
12. Distributing Positive and Negative Signs
It's not just numbers and variables that get distributed. Positive and negative signs can, too. In this lesson, we'll learn how to distribute positive and negative signs correctly.
13. Distributing Algebraic Expressions with Numbers and Variables
So, you can simplify an algebraic expression when you need to distribute a number? Great! But what if you need to distribute a variable or a variable with an exponent? Learn how in this lesson.
14. How to Perform Division: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can divide. Division is one of the basic operations of math. It is one of the fundamental operations that all higher mathematics depends upon.
15. Performing Long Division with Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to divide larger numbers. You'll learn an easy to follow procedure that you can use to divide any two numbers.
16. How to Find the Square Root of a Number
What is a square root? In this lesson, we'll learn what a square root is and how to find it. We'll review a variety of examples in order to master the concept.
17. Estimating Square Roots
Inverse operations are mathematical operations that undo each other. The square root is the inverse of the squared (or multiplying a number by itself) operation. There is an easy method for estimating the square root of a number, which you will learn in this lesson.
18. Simplifying Square Roots When not a Perfect Square
Numbers that are imperfect squares are those that, when evaluated, do not give solutions that are integers. The proper mathematical way to simplify these imperfect squares is discussed in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the McDougal Littell Algebra 1: Online Textbook Help course
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 1: Expressions, Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 3: Solving Linear Equations
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 4: Graphing Linear Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 5: Writing Linear Equations
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 6: Solving & Graphing Linear Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 7: Systems of Linear Equations & Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 8: Exponents & Exponential Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 9: Polynomials & Factoring
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 10: Quadratic Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 11: Radicals & Geometry Connections
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 12: Rational Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 13: Probability & Data Analysis