About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the McDougal Littell Graphing Linear Equations & Functions chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the topics on graphing linear equations and functions you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn about:
- The Cartesian coordinate system
- The definition for slope
- Finding and applying the slope of a line
- Slope-intercept form and point-slope form
- The graphing of zero slope
- How basic functions are graphed
- The rate of change
McDougal Littell is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. The Cartesian Coordinate System: Plotting Points & Graphing Lines
Watch this video lesson to see how useful the Cartesian coordinate system is. Learn how points are labeled and how you can plot points and graph lines using the system.
2. What is Slope? - Definition & Formulas
The slope is a measure of the steepness of a line, or a section of a line, connecting two points. In this lesson, you will use several different formulas for slope and learn how those formulas relate to the steepness of a line.
3. How to Find and Apply The Slope of a Line
In this lesson, we'll discover all about the slopes of lines. We'll learn about different types of slopes and how to find the slopes of lines. We'll use two methods: the slope formula and the slope-intercept form.
4. Calculating the Slope of a Line: Point-Slope Form, Slope-Intercept Form & More
Being able to calculate the slope of a line is a very useful skill to have. Why? Watch this video lesson to find out and learn how to find the slope when working with various equations and various lines.
5. Graphing Undefined Slope, Zero Slope and More
There are two special cases when it comes to slopes on the xy plane: horizontal and vertical lines. Without any more information, these examples can be pretty confusing. But with a little instruction, they end up being some of the easiest lines to graph!
6. Graphing Basic Functions
Graphs are just like maps - when you know the language! Review how locations have x and y coordinates similar to latitude and longitude, and how to plot points in the Cartesian plane.
7. Slopes and Rate of Change
If you throw a ball straight up, there will be a point when it stops moving for an instant before coming back down. Consider this as we study the rate of change of human cannonballs in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the McDougal Littell Algebra 1: Online Textbook Help course
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 1: Expressions, Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 2: Properties of Real Numbers
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 3: Solving Linear Equations
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 5: Writing Linear Equations
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 6: Solving & Graphing Linear Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 7: Systems of Linear Equations & Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 8: Exponents & Exponential Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 9: Polynomials & Factoring
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 10: Quadratic Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 11: Radicals & Geometry Connections
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 12: Rational Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 13: Probability & Data Analysis