About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the McDougal Littell Writing Linear Equations chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the topics on writing linear equations you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn about:
- The process for writing linear equations
- Abstract algebraic examples
- Point-slope formulas
- Standard form of linear equations
- Parallel and transverse lines
- How linear equations with parallel lines look on graphs
- The definitions of correlation and scatterplot
- Linear models
McDougal Littell is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Write a Linear Equation
Simply knowing how to take a linear equation and graph it is only half of the battle. You should also be able to come up with the equation if you're given the right information.
2. Abstract Algebraic Examples and Going from a Graph to a Rule
Just because you now know what a linear equation is doesn't mean that you are a master! This video will help you learn how to apply your knowledge of linear equations in more abstract algebraic ways.
3. Equation of a Line Using Point-Slope Formula
It's time for a road trip to Las Vegas, and after four hours of driving at 60 mph ... Are we there yet? Learn the point-slope form of the equation of a line to help answer this age-old question.
4. Linear Equations: Intercepts, Standard Form and Graphing
Do you know what to do if an equation doesn't look like y=mx+b?! If not, then this video is for you. Chances are the equation is in standard form, so we'll learn how to use standard form equations, how to graph them and why they can be helpful.
5. Parallel, Perpendicular and Transverse Lines
What are the different types of lines? Where are they visible in the real world and how can you recognize them? Find out here and test your knowledge with a quiz.
6. Graphs of Parallel and Perpendicular Lines in Linear Equations
When we deal with linear equations, we sometimes come across equations that are parallel to each other or perpendicular to each other. You will see what they look like when graphed in this video lesson.
7. Scatterplot and Correlation: Definition, Example & Analysis
A scatterplot is used to graphically represent the relationship between two variables. Explore the relationship between scatterplots and correlations, the different types of correlations, how to interpret scatterplots, and more.
8. Interpreting the Slope & Intercept of a Linear Model
You've probably seen slope and intercept in algebra. These concepts can also be used to predict and understand information in statistics. Take a look at this lesson!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the McDougal Littell Algebra 1: Online Textbook Help course
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 1: Expressions, Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 2: Properties of Real Numbers
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 3: Solving Linear Equations
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 4: Graphing Linear Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 6: Solving & Graphing Linear Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 7: Systems of Linear Equations & Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 8: Exponents & Exponential Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 9: Polynomials & Factoring
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 10: Quadratic Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 11: Radicals & Geometry Connections
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 12: Rational Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 13: Probability & Data Analysis