About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the McDougal Littell Solving & Graphing Linear Inequalities chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the topics on solving and graphing linear inequalities you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn to:
- Define an inequality
- Solve practice problems with linear inequalities
- Understand compound inequalities, set notation and interval notation
- Graph absolute value inequalities
- Solve absolute value inequalities
- Graph 1- and 2-variable inequalities
McDougal Littell is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
2. Solving Linear Inequalities: Practice Problems
Linear inequalities may look intimidating, but they're really not much different than linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of linear inequalities.
3. Set Notation, Compound Inequalities, and Systems of Inequalities
In this lesson, we'll explore the conditions of compound inequalities and learn how to express them using set notation and interval notation. Test you knowledge afterward with a short quiz.
4. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Taking two skills and combining them to make a more complicated problem is a classic tactic in mathematics. If you feel confident with absolute values and inequalities, see if you can tackle them with their powers combined here!
5. Solving and Graphing Absolute Value Inequalities: Practice Problems
Solving and graphing absolute value inequalities brings a lot of different skills together in one place. The practice problems in this video will give you a good chance to see more examples of absolute value inequalities but will also test your general algebraic knowledge.
6. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
So an inequality is just an equation with a less than or greater than symbol. But what is the difference between 1 and 2 variable inequalities? What does have a greater than or equal to symbol change? When do you use a number line instead of a coordinate plane? Get those answers here!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the McDougal Littell Algebra 1: Online Textbook Help course
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 1: Expressions, Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 2: Properties of Real Numbers
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 3: Solving Linear Equations
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 4: Graphing Linear Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 5: Writing Linear Equations
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 7: Systems of Linear Equations & Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 8: Exponents & Exponential Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 9: Polynomials & Factoring
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 10: Quadratic Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 11: Radicals & Geometry Connections
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 12: Rational Equations & Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 1 Chapter 13: Probability & Data Analysis