About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Sequences and Series chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the sequences and series topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Finite and infinite sequences
- Series and summation notation
- Arithmetic sequences
- The sum of the first n terms of an arithmetic sequence
- Arithmetic series in algebra
- Geometric sequences
- The sum of the first n terms of a geometric sequence
- General term of a geometric sequence
- The formula for infinite geometric series
- Recursive rules for arithmetic, algebraic and geometric sequences
McDougal Littell Algebra 2 is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Introduction to Sequences: Finite and Infinite
In this video lesson, we will learn about the many patterns that are possible in sequences. See how some sequences stop after a while and how some sequences never stop.
2. How to Use Series and Summation Notation: Process and Examples
Have you ever seen a sideways M on a math test and wondered what it meant? In this video lesson, learn about the notation that we use to show that we want to sum something up. Learn how to use it and see some examples of it in use.
3. Arithmetic Sequences: Definition & Finding the Common Difference
Watch this video lesson to learn the pattern that defines an arithmetic sequence. Learn how to identify arithmetic sequences as well as find the pattern easily. You will also learn the formula you can use to write any number in your sequence.
4. How and Why to Use the General Term of an Arithmetic Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula for the general term of an arithmetic sequence. Also learn why this formula makes working with an arithmetic sequence much easier.
5. The Sum of the First n Terms of an Arithmetic Sequence
In this video lesson, you will learn an easy to use formula for summing an arithmetic sequence. Watch as we use the formula in action and then get a chance to use it yourself as you follow along.
6. Understanding Arithmetic Series in Algebra
In this video lesson, we will learn about arithmetic series and how they work. Learn also how to find the pattern of an arithmetic sequence along with finding the sum.
7. Working with Geometric Sequences
In this video lesson, we'll learn how to recognize when a sequence of numbers is a geometric sequence, how to find the common ratio and how to expand a sequence to as many numbers as we want!
8. How and Why to Use the General Term of a Geometric Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula for the general term of a geometric sequence. You will learn how to write your own general term given a particular geometric sequence as well as the reason for doing this.
9. The Sum of the First n Terms of a Geometric Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the total of a geometric sequence up to a certain point. Learn the formula that you can use to help you find your answer.
10. Understand the Formula for Infinite Geometric Series
Watch this video lesson to learn how to calculate the sum of an infinite geometric series. Learn about the interesting thing that happens when your common ratio is less than one.
11. Using Recursive Rules for Arithmetic, Algebraic & Geometric Sequences
When dealing with sequences in math, both algebraic and geometric, we come across recursive rules. Watch this video lesson to learn how recursion works and how you can use a recursive rule to get to your next number using a previous number.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the McDougal Littell Algebra 2: Online Textbook Help course
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 1: Equations and Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 2: Linear Equations and Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 3: Systems of Linear Equations and Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 4: Matrices and Determinants
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 5: Quadratic Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 6: Polynomials and Polynomial Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 7: Powers, Roots, and Radicals
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 8: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 9: Rational Equations and Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 10: Quadratic Relations and Conic Sections
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 12: Probability and Statistics
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 13: Trigonometric Ratios and Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 14: Trigonometric Graphs, Identities, and Equations