About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Matrices and Determinants chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the matrices and determinants topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Matrix notation
- Equal matrices
- Math operations with matrices
- Matrix row operations
- Determinants of matrices
- Cramer's rule
- Inverse matrices
- Multiplicative inverses of matrices
McDougal Littell Algebra 2 is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is a Matrix?
As math gets more and more complicated and there become more and more numbers flying around, it becomes really handy to put all these numbers in a nice organized grid... hello matrices! Learn about what they are and why there are used.
2. Matrix Notation, Equal Matrices & Math Operations with Matrices
Watch this video lesson to learn about the basics of matrices and what kinds of math operations you can do with them. Also learn how to determine whether two matrices are the same or not.
3. How to Perform Matrix Row Operations
Watch this video lesson to learn how easy it is to perform row operations on a matrix. Learn how to perform the three basic operations easily and quickly.
4. How to Take a Determinant of a Matrix
Matrices are incredibly powerful and can help you do all sorts of things, but one of the most basic (and surprisingly helpful) operations you can perform on one is to take its determinant. Learn how to do that here!
5. Using Cramer's Rule with Inconsistent and Dependent Systems
Watch this video lesson, and you will see what happens when we use Cramer's Rule with inconsistent and dependent systems. You will see what kind of result you will always get when you try to use Cramer's Rule.
6. Solving Systems of Linear Equations in Two Variables Using Determinants
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can easily find the solution of a linear system in two variables by just using determinants. All you need to find the complete solution is to find three determinants.
7. Solving Systems of Linear Equations in Three Variables Using Determinants
Watch this video lesson to learn how to use Cramer's rule to help you find your solutions by finding just four determinants. Learn the numbers to use for your determinants.
8. How to Solve Inverse Matrices
Watch this video lesson to learn what kinds of matrix operations you can take to find the inverse of a matrix. Also learn why matrix inverses are useful.
9. Multiplicative Inverses of Matrices and Matrix Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn about another method you can use to solve a matrix problem if you are given the inverse of the matrix. You will also learn the identifying mark of the multiplicative inverse of a matrix.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the McDougal Littell Algebra 2: Online Textbook Help course
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 1: Equations and Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 2: Linear Equations and Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 3: Systems of Linear Equations and Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 5: Quadratic Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 6: Polynomials and Polynomial Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 7: Powers, Roots, and Radicals
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 8: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 9: Rational Equations and Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 10: Quadratic Relations and Conic Sections
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 11: Sequences and Series
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 12: Probability and Statistics
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 13: Trigonometric Ratios and Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 14: Trigonometric Graphs, Identities, and Equations