About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Powers, Roots, and Radicals chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the powers, roots, and radicals topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Rational exponents
- Power functions
- Compounding functions
- Domain and range of composite functions
- Inverse functions and their graphs
- Radical functions
- Steps to solve radical equations
- Mean, median, mode, and range
- Spread in data sheets
- Standard deviation and shifts in the mean
- Box plots
- Histograms in math
McDougal Littell Algebra 2 is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Rational Exponents
In this video, learn how to go from a rational exponent to a radical expression and back. No tricks or magic, just good math! We'll review the basics and look at a few examples.
2. Simplifying Expressions with Rational Exponents
Simplifying expressions with rational exponents is so easy. In fact, you already know how to do it! We simply use the exponent properties but with fractions as the exponent!
3. What is a Power Function? - Definition, Equations, Graphs & Examples
Power functions have many different varieties of graphs. Use this lesson to distinguish the difference between different types of power functions. Test your knowledge with a short quiz after the lesson!
4. Compounding Functions and Graphing Functions of Functions
We know that functions map numbers to other numbers, so what happens when you have a function of a function? Welcome to functions within functions, the realm of composite functions!
5. Domain & Range of Composite Functions: Definition & Examples
Learn what makes a function a composite function and also learn how the parts of a composite function determine its domain. Also in this video lesson, learn about the range of composite functions.
6. Inverse Functions
Inverse functions are two functions that do exactly opposite things. Check out this lesson to learn about how to write inverse functions, find inverse functions, and predict whether or not they exist.
7. Understanding and Graphing the Inverse Function
If you use a function to map a to b, is there a way to go back from b to a again? Learn how to find and graph inverse functions so that you can turn a into b and back into a.
8. What is a Radical Function? - Definition, Equations & Graphs
Radical functions operate very differently than regular functions. This lesson covers the definitions, equations, and graphs that you will need to know to be successful with radical functions.
9. Solving Radical Equations: Steps and Examples
Solving radical equations is not any more difficult than solving other algebraic equations. This lesson will show you how to solve equations containing a square root and give some real-world examples.
10. Solving Radical Equations with Two Radical Terms
Solving equations with two radical terms takes some patience and care, but it really is not difficult. This lesson will show you the steps to solve these more complicated equations plus give you some examples to follow.
11. How to Calculate Mean, Median, Mode & Range
Measures of central tendency can provide valuable information about a set of data. In this lesson, explore how to calculate the mean, median, mode and range of any given data set.
12. Calculating the Mean, Median, Mode & Range: Practice Problems
Calculating the mean, median, mode, and range of a data set is a fundamental part of learning statistics. Use this video to practice your skills and then test your knowledge with a short quiz.
13. Spread in Data Sets: Definition & Example
Identifying the spread in data sets is a very important part of statistics. You can do this several ways, but the most common methods are through range, interquartile range, and variance.
14. Calculating the Standard Deviation
In this lesson, we will examine the meaning and process of calculating the standard deviation of a data set. Standard deviation can help to determine if the data set is a normal distribution.
15. Creating & Interpreting Box Plots: Process & Examples
Box plots are an essential tool in statistical analysis. This lesson will help you create a box plot and understand its meaning. When you are finished, test your understanding with a short quiz!
16. What is a Histogram in Math? - Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to see how useful a histogram can be when you need to show a bunch of data in an easy to read format. Also, learn how you can easily gather the information you need from looking at a histogram.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the McDougal Littell Algebra 2: Online Textbook Help course
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 1: Equations and Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 2: Linear Equations and Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 3: Systems of Linear Equations and Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 4: Matrices and Determinants
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 5: Quadratic Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 6: Polynomials and Polynomial Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 8: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 9: Rational Equations and Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 10: Quadratic Relations and Conic Sections
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 11: Sequences and Series
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 12: Probability and Statistics
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 13: Trigonometric Ratios and Functions
- McDougal Littell Algebra 2 Chapter 14: Trigonometric Graphs, Identities, and Equations