About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the McDougal Littell Geometry Textbook Similarity chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the similarity topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Ratios and proportions
- Computing ratios
- Properties of proportions
- Proportion defined, plus application and examples
- Using properties of proportions
- Geometric mean
- Solving problems involving proportions
- Similar polygons
- Writing similarity statements
- Comparing similar polygons
- Constructing similar polygons
- Identifying similar triangles
- Similar triangles and the AA criterion
- Writing proportionality statements
- The transitive property of similar triangles
- Applications of similar triangles
- Proving similarity theorems about triangles
- Practice proving relationships
- Triangle proportionality theorem
- Properties of dilations
- Identifying dilations and finding scale factors
- Dilation in a coordinate plane
McDougal Littell Geometry is a registered trademark of McDougal Littell, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how ratios and proportions are related. Also, learn how ratios and proportions are used in real life and how you can apply them to yours.
2. Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples
When we want to compare one ratio, or fraction, to another equivalent ratio, it's a proportion. Learn all about proportions and practice solving proportion problems in this lesson.
3. Geometric Mean: Definition and Formula
Watch this video lesson to learn how different the geometric mean is from the arithmetic mean, or average, that we are all so familiar with. Learn in what circumstance the geometric mean is preferred. Also, learn the formula and how to use it.
4. Solving Problems Involving Proportions: Definition and Examples
Learn how you can use proportions to find missing sides and how to increase or decrease the sizes of objects to create models of them in this video lesson.
5. Similar Polygons: Definition and Examples
Watch this video to learn what makes two polygons similar to each other. You'll also learn the one distinguishing aspect of similar polygons and see an example of how to compare two polygons.
6. Constructing Similar Polygons
This lesson will teach you how to construct similar polygons, which are very useful in many quantitative fields. You'll learn that all of this has something to do with, of all things, snowflakes!
7. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
8. The Transitive Property of Similar Triangles
Watch this video lesson and you will understand what the transitive property is and how it applies to similar triangles. Watch as we apply the transitive property to three similar triangles.
9. Applications of Similar Triangles
Similar triangles are used to solve problems in everyday situations. Learn how to solve with similar triangles here, and then test your understanding with a quiz.
10. Triangle Proportionality Theorem
Watch this video lesson to learn all about the triangle proportionality theorem and how you can use this interesting theorem to help you solve problems. Learn how a parallel line can create sides that are proportional to each other.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the McDougal Littell Geometry: Online Textbook Help course
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 1: Basics of Geometry
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 2: Reasoning and Proof
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 3: Perpendicular and Parallel Lines
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 4: Congruent Triangles
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 5: Properties of Triangles
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 6: Quadrilaterals
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 7: Transformations
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 9: Right Triangles and Trigonometry
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 10: Circles
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 11: Area of Polygons and Circles
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 12: Surface Area and Volume