About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the McDougal Littell Geometry Textbook Right Triangles and Trigonometry chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the right triangles and trigonometry topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Properties of right triangles
- Proportions in right triangles
- Using a geometric mean to solve problems
- The Pythagorean theorem in practice and application
- The Pythagorean theorem: converse and special cases
- Classifying triangles by angle measures
- Types and properties of special right triangles
- Side lengths of special right triangles
- Introduction to sines, cosines and tangents
- Trigonometric ratios and similarity
- Practice finding the trigonometric ratios
- Solving right triangles
- Problems requiring solving right triangles
- Definition and types of vectors
- Finding the magnitude of a vector
- Explanation and examples of vector addition with a geometric approach
McDougal Littell Geometry is a registered trademark of McDougal Littell, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Properties of Right Triangles: Theorems & Proofs
In this lesson, you will learn about the properties of and theorems associated with right triangles, which have a wide range of applications in math and science. Specifically, we will discuss and prove the Pythagorean theorem and the right triangle altitude theorem. Let's get started.
2. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
3. The Pythagorean Theorem: Converse and Special Cases
The Pythagorean Theorem is a famous theorem for right triangles. Watch this video to learn how the Pythagorean Theorem relates to the law of cosines and how the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem can help you identify right triangles.
4. Special Right Triangles: Types and Properties
Not all right triangles are the same. In this lesson, we'll look at two special right triangles (30-60-90 and 45-45-90) that have unique properties to help you quickly and easily solve certain triangle problems.
5. Trigonometric Ratios and Similarity
Where do terms like sine, cosine and tangent come from? In this lesson, we'll learn about how similarity with right triangles leads to trigonometric ratios.
6. Practice Finding the Trigonometric Ratios
So you know what sine, cosine and tangent are. Great! But how do you use them? Find out how in this lesson as we find missing sides and angles using trigonometric ratios.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the McDougal Littell Geometry: Online Textbook Help course
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 1: Basics of Geometry
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 2: Reasoning and Proof
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 3: Perpendicular and Parallel Lines
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 4: Congruent Triangles
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 5: Properties of Triangles
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 6: Quadrilaterals
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 7: Transformations
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 8: Similarity
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 10: Circles
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 11: Area of Polygons and Circles
- McDougal Littell Geometry Chapter 12: Surface Area and Volume