About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Variables, Expressions and Integers chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the variables, expressions and integers topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Algebra terms
- Variables in algebra
- The order of operations in math
- Number lines
- Absolute values
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division steps
- Arithmetic calculations with integers
- Algebraic and exponential expressions
McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Algebra Vocabulary Terms
Watch this video lesson to learn about some basic vocabulary words that you will come across again and again in the course of your studies in algebra. After you finish this video, you should know and be able to identify each term.
2. What is a Variable in Algebra?
Did you ever encounter something like a + b = c and wonder how all these letters snuck into a math problem? In this lesson, we'll learn about variables, as well as other parts of equations, constants and coefficients.
3. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
4. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
5. Simplifying and Solving Exponential Expressions
What do we do with an exponent? In this lesson, we'll learn how to simplify and solve expressions containing exponents. We'll solve a variety of types of exponential expressions.
6. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
7. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
8. What Is a Number Line?
A number line is a visual representation of all real numbers. In this lesson, we'll learn how to identify points on a number line. We'll also practice addition and subtraction, letting the number line do all the hard work.
9. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
10. How to Perform Addition: Steps & Examples
Addition is one of the basic operations of math. You can say that the whole of mathematics is based on addition. Without addition, we wouldn't have higher math. Watch this video to learn how to add.
11. How to Perform Subtraction: Steps & Examples
Subtraction is one of the basic operations in math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can view and understand subtraction so that you can easily perform it.
12. How to Perform Multiplication: Steps & Examples
Multiplication, one of the basic operations of math, is important not just in elementary math but also in higher math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can multiply with ease.
13. How to Perform Division: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can divide. Division is one of the basic operations of math. It is one of the fundamental operations that all higher mathematics depends upon.
14. Arithmetic Calculations with Signed Numbers
Signed numbers are often referred to as integers. Integers include both positive and negative numbers. In this lesson, you will learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers.
15. Plotting Points on the Coordinate Plane
If you'll be working with a graph, otherwise known as the coordinate plane, it's essential to understand how it works. This includes learning the parts of a graph, identifying points and plotting points.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra: Online Textbook Help course
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 2: Solving Equations
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 3: Multi-Step Equations and Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 4: Factors, Fractions, and Exponents
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 5: Rational Numbers and Equations
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 6: Ratio, Proportion, and Probability
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 7: Percents
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 8: Linear Functions
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 9: Real Numbers and Right Triangles
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 10: Measurement, Area, and Volume
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 11: Data Analysis and Probability
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 12: Polynomials and Nonlinear Functions
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 13: Angle Relationships and Transformations