About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Polynomials and Nonlinear Functions chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the polynomials and nonlinear functions topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Polynomials, binomials and quadratics
- Polynomial operations
- Exponential decay
- Power of powers
- Arithmetic sequences
- The sum formula for an arithmetic sequence
- Geometric sequences
- General term of a geometric sequence
McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Company, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What are Polynomials, Binomials, and Quadratics?
What do polynomials, binomials, and quadratics have in common? What are their differences? How can you identify each of them? Watch this video lesson to find the answers.
2. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Polynomials
Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials are, basically, the same as adding, subtracting and multiplying numbers. They only difference is that we have a pesky variable to worry about, but this video will show you that's no problem, so no worries! This method has worked for many of my students, and I think it will work for you, too!
3. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL and the Area Method
From the distributive property, to FOIL, to the area model, to happy faces and claws, there are many different ways to learn how to multiply binomials. In this lesson, you'll learn how to use all of them and get to pick which one you like the most.
4. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL & the Area Method: Practice Problems
There are a few mistakes that are easy to make when multiplying binomials with FOIL and also a few ways to complicate problems like this, so why not make sure you're brushed up on your skills? You'll also learn a shortcut and how to use the area method to multiply even bigger polynomials.
5. Power of Powers: Simplifying Exponential Expressions
Mathematics is a very logical science. There is a rule for everything and not many exceptions to those rules. Working with exponents is no different. This lesson will describe the rule for raising a power to a power and also will give some examples in how to solve them.
6. The Parabola: Definition & Graphing
Watch this video lesson to learn what a parabola is and how you can graph it. Find out how to extract useful information from the standard form equation of a parabola to help you graph it.
7. Exponential Growth vs. Decay
How is it that it only takes four years for our computer to go from top-of-the-line to almost worthless? Well, it has something to do with what's called exponential decay, which we'll learn about here!
8. Arithmetic Sequences: Definition & Finding the Common Difference
Watch this video lesson to learn the pattern that defines an arithmetic sequence. Learn how to identify arithmetic sequences as well as find the pattern easily. You will also learn the formula you can use to write any number in your sequence.
9. How and Why to Use the General Term of an Arithmetic Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula for the general term of an arithmetic sequence. Also learn why this formula makes working with an arithmetic sequence much easier.
10. The Sum of the First n Terms of an Arithmetic Sequence
In this video lesson, you will learn an easy to use formula for summing an arithmetic sequence. Watch as we use the formula in action and then get a chance to use it yourself as you follow along.
11. Working with Geometric Sequences
In this video lesson, we'll learn how to recognize when a sequence of numbers is a geometric sequence, how to find the common ratio and how to expand a sequence to as many numbers as we want!
12. How and Why to Use the General Term of a Geometric Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula for the general term of a geometric sequence. You will learn how to write your own general term given a particular geometric sequence as well as the reason for doing this.
13. The Sum of the First n Terms of a Geometric Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the total of a geometric sequence up to a certain point. Learn the formula that you can use to help you find your answer.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra: Online Textbook Help course
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 1: Variables, Expressions, and Integers
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 2: Solving Equations
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 3: Multi-Step Equations and Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 4: Factors, Fractions, and Exponents
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 5: Rational Numbers and Equations
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 6: Ratio, Proportion, and Probability
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 7: Percents
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 8: Linear Functions
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 9: Real Numbers and Right Triangles
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 10: Measurement, Area, and Volume
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 11: Data Analysis and Probability
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 13: Angle Relationships and Transformations