About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Solving Equations chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the equations topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Use of the commutative and associative properties
- Algebraic expression distribution using numbers and variables
- Combination of like terms in algebraic expressions
- Methods for simplifying algebraic expressions
- Linear equations
- Use of the addition and multiplication principles to solve equations
- Decimal notation
- Operations using decimals
McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. The Commutative and Associative Properties and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is important and useful, but a few mathematical properties highlight cases where order doesn't matter. In this lesson, we'll learn about the commutative and associative properties, which may save you time and effort.
2. Distributing Algebraic Expressions with Numbers and Variables
So, you can simplify an algebraic expression when you need to distribute a number? Great! But what if you need to distribute a variable or a variable with an exponent? Learn how in this lesson.
3. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
4. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
5. Negative Signs and Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
Don't let negative signs get you down. In this lesson, we'll stay positive as we practice simplifying algebraic expressions that have those tricky negative signs.
6. Problem solving using Linear Equations
From sale prices to trip distances, many real life problems can be solved using linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice translating word problems into linear equations, then solving the problems.
7. Solving Linear Equations: Practice Problems
With practice, linear equations can be straightforward to solve. In this lesson, we'll define linear equations and learn how to solve them. We'll look at multiple practice problems and walk through solving each one.
8. Solving Equations Using the Addition Principle
In algebra, we have certain principles that we use to help us solve equations quickly and easily. The addition principle is one of them. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can apply it to solve your equations.
9. Solving Equations Using the Multiplication Principle
When it comes to solving equations in algebra, one of the essential skills you need is the ability to multiply. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the multiplication principle to isolate your variable.
10. Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division with Decimal Notation
Performing operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division has some differences when there are decimals involved. This lesson will explain how to perform these operations all while keeping the decimals straight.
11. Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
In math, we sometimes have to deal with decimal numbers instead of our nice whole numbers. Watch this video lesson to learn the one thing that you have to take into consideration when adding and subtracting decimals.
12. Multiplying and Dividing Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn what you need to do to get a correct answer when multiplying and dividing decimals. Learn the easy tricks to figuring out where the decimal point goes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra: Online Textbook Help course
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 1: Variables, Expressions, and Integers
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 3: Multi-Step Equations and Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 4: Factors, Fractions, and Exponents
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 5: Rational Numbers and Equations
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 6: Ratio, Proportion, and Probability
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 7: Percents
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 8: Linear Functions
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 9: Real Numbers and Right Triangles
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 10: Measurement, Area, and Volume
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 11: Data Analysis and Probability
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 12: Polynomials and Nonlinear Functions
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 13: Angle Relationships and Transformations