About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Factors, Fractions and Exponents chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the factors, fractions and exponents topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Factoring in algebra
- Prime factorization of a number
- Methods for finding the greatest common factor
- Equivalent fractions and fraction notation
- Least common multiples
- The five main exponent properties
- Zero and negative exponents
- Standard and scientific notation
McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is Factoring in Algebra? - Definition & Example
Factoring with ordinary numbers involves knowing that 6 is the product of 2 and 3. But what about factoring in algebra? In this lesson, we'll learn the essential elements of algebra factoring.
2. How to Find the Prime Factorization of a Number
The prime factorization of a number involves breaking that number down to its smallest parts. This lesson will show you two different ways to discover the prime factorization of any number.
3. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
4. Equivalent Expressions and Fraction Notation
Did you know that two fractions can look completely different, but actually be the same? In this lesson, we'll learn about equivalent fractions. We'll also learn to simplify fraction notation.
5. How to Build and Reduce Fractions
Fractions are a fundamental part of everyday life. Fractions represent a comparison of a part to the whole. To reduce fractions, we will divide by the greatest common factor, or the GCF.
6. How to Find the Least Common Multiple
The least common multiple of two numbers is the smallest number that can be divided evenly by your two original numbers. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
7. What Are the Five Main Exponent Properties?
We'll look at the five important exponent properties and an example of each. You can think of them as the order of operations for exponents. Learn how to handle math problems with exponents here!
8. How to Define a Zero and Negative Exponent
The zero and negative exponent properties are two you will use quite a lot in mathematics. The negative exponent property can be confusing, but when you remember a couple fun ideas, you will get it right every time!
9. Negative Exponents: Writing Powers of Fractions and Decimals
Most numbers can be written in different ways, either as a fraction, decimal or exponent. This lesson will teach you how to write fractions and decimals using exponents and how to convert between the two.
10. Scientific Notation: Definition and Examples
Scientific notation is a special way of writing numbers so they are easier to work with. This lesson will define scientific notations and show some examples of how to convert numbers from standard notation to scientific notation and back.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra: Online Textbook Help course
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 1: Variables, Expressions, and Integers
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 2: Solving Equations
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 3: Multi-Step Equations and Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 5: Rational Numbers and Equations
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 6: Ratio, Proportion, and Probability
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 7: Percents
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 8: Linear Functions
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 9: Real Numbers and Right Triangles
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 10: Measurement, Area, and Volume
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 11: Data Analysis and Probability
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 12: Polynomials and Nonlinear Functions
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 13: Angle Relationships and Transformations