About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Real Numbers and Right Triangles chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the real numbers and right triangles topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Finding the square root of a number
- Estimating the square root of a number
- Simplifying imperfect squares
- Applying the Pythagorean Theorem
- Simplifying expressions with numbers and variables in a square root
- Using the distance and midpoint formulas
- Identifying properties of special right triangles
- Using sing, cosine and tangent ratios
McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Find the Square Root of a Number
What is a square root? In this lesson, we'll learn what a square root is and how to find it. We'll review a variety of examples in order to master the concept.
2. Estimating Square Roots
Inverse operations are mathematical operations that undo each other. The square root is the inverse of the squared (or multiplying a number by itself) operation. There is an easy method for estimating the square root of a number, which you will learn in this lesson.
3. Simplifying Square Roots When not a Perfect Square
Numbers that are imperfect squares are those that, when evaluated, do not give solutions that are integers. The proper mathematical way to simplify these imperfect squares is discussed in this lesson.
4. Simplifying Expressions Containing Square Roots
In order to write radical expressions correctly, they have to be written in their simplest form. This lesson will show you how to simplify expressions containing numbers and variables inside a square root.
5. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
6. The Order of Real Numbers: Inequalities
An inequality is an operation describing how one number can be compared to another. This lesson will describe and define inequalities and the symbols used to represent them. It will also give some examples on how to work with inequalities.
7. How to Use The Distance Formula
You can't always rely on your smartphone to tell you how far you need to travel to get from point A to point B. The distance formula will tell you the distance between any two points on a graph. In this lesson, you'll learn where it comes from and how to use it!
8. How to Use The Midpoint Formula
The formula for the midpoint of a line segment will tell you how to find the middle of any line segment on the x, y plane. Learn about this formula and see how it is used to find the midpoint of a line segment.
9. Special Right Triangles: Types and Properties
Not all right triangles are the same. In this lesson, we'll look at two special right triangles (30-60-90 and 45-45-90) that have unique properties to help you quickly and easily solve certain triangle problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra: Online Textbook Help course
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 1: Variables, Expressions, and Integers
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 2: Solving Equations
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 3: Multi-Step Equations and Inequalities
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 4: Factors, Fractions, and Exponents
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 5: Rational Numbers and Equations
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 6: Ratio, Proportion, and Probability
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 7: Percents
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 8: Linear Functions
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 10: Measurement, Area, and Volume
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 11: Data Analysis and Probability
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 12: Polynomials and Nonlinear Functions
- McDougal Littell Pre-Algebra Chapter 13: Angle Relationships and Transformations