About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the McDougal Littell The Americans World War Looms chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the pre-World War II topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- The growth of nationalism in Europe
- The Soviet Union under Stalin
- The history and rise of fascism
- The rise of Mussolini and Italian Fascism
- National Socialism and Hitler's rise to power
- The Spanish Civil War
- Conflict in Asia between the World Wars
- The start of the Second World War
- Causes of World War II
- The Holocaust
- Franklin D. Roosevelt's pre-WWII foreign policy
- WWII alliances and expansions
- The attack on Pearl Harbor
McDougal Littell The Americans is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Nationalism Grows in Europe: Timeline, Events & Impact
In this lesson, we will study the growth of nationalism that took place during the French Revolution and the Napoleonic age. We will begin by defining nationalism and then explore how it developed in these critical eras.
2. The Soviet Union Under Stalin: Five-Year Plans, Purges & Policies
In this lesson, we explore the brutal rule of Joseph Stalin in the Soviet Union, from 1928 to 1953. Stalin radically transformed the economy of the Soviet Union, while also terrorizing its people.
3. Fascism: Characteristics, History & Rise
In this lesson, we explore the characteristics of the form of government known as fascism, including briefly examining history's best example of fascism: Hitler's Germany.
4. The Rise of Benito Mussolini and Italian Fascism: Facts & Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the rise of fascism in interwar Italy, as led by Il Duce, Benito Mussolini. Mussolini's oppressive, totalitarian regime fell during WWII.
5. The Rise of Hitler & National Socialism
In this lesson, we will explore the rise of Adolf Hitler and National Socialism. We will place these developments in historical context and highlight major events and themes.
6. The Spanish Civil War & the Influence of Foreign Powers: Definition, Summary & Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the Spanish Civil War that broke out between nationalists and socialists in Spain in the 1930s. In the aftermath, General Francisco Franco instituted a fascist dictatorship.
7. Interwar Conflict in Asia Between World Wars: History & Response
In this lesson, we discuss Japan and China and the disparate fortunes of the two nations during the interwar period, including Japanese military aggression toward China.
8. World War II: The Start of the Second World War
Learn all about the start of World War II and why the League of Nations could not stop aggression by Italy, Germany and Japan in the 1930s, which led to the outbreak of this second global conflict.
9. Occupations, Agreements & Appeasement: Causes of the Second World War
In this lesson, we will learn about the events leading up to the Second World War. We will focus on the occupations, agreements, and appeasements that preceded Hitler's invasion of Poland in 1939.
10. The Holocaust: Anti-Semitism and Genocide in Nazi Germany
The Holocaust was the persecution and mass murder of as many as 11 million people by Adolf Hitler and the Nazis between 1933 and 1945. Learn about the people they targeted, the progression of events leading up to the Final Solution and the end of the genocide in this lesson.
11. Franklin D. Roosevelt's Foreign Policy Prior to World War II
President Franklin D. Roosevelt's foreign policy focused on moving the United States from isolation to intervention. Learn more about Roosevelt's foreign policy on the eve of the Second World War.
12. Alliances and Expansions During World War II
In this lesson, we will examine the various alliances and territorial expansions surrounding the Second World War. We will see how these led to the outbreak of war and place them in historical context.
13. The Attack on Pearl Harbor: The Beginning of American Involvement in World War II
On December 7, 1941, the Empire of Japan launched a surprise attack against Allied possessions in the Pacific, including the American military base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. After decades of conflict between the two nations, the U.S. declared war.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the McDougal Littell The Americans: Online Textbook Help course
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 1: Exploration and the Colonial Era
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 2: Revolution and Early Republic
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 3: Growth of A Young Nation
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 4: The Union in Peril
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 5: Changes on the Western Frontier
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 6: A New Industrial Age
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 7: Immigrants and Urbanization
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 8: Life at the Turn of the Century
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 9: Progressive Era
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 10: America Claims an Empire
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 11: The First World War
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 12: Politics of the Roaring 20s
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 13: The Roaring Life of the 20s
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 14: The Great Depression Begins
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 15: The New Deal
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 17: The United States in WWII
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 18: Cold War Conflicts
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 19: The Post War Booms
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 20: The New Frontier and the Great Society
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 21: Civil Rights
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 22: The Vietnam Years
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 23: An Era of Social Change
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 24: An Age of Limits
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 25: The Conservative Tide
- McDougal Littell The Americans Chapter 26: The United States in the World Today