About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the McDougal Littell European Renaissance and Reformation chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the Renaissance and Reformation topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students Will Study:
- Events of the Renaissance
- Italy's transformation during the Renaissance
- Development of humanism
- Renaissance painting, sculptures, architecture and artists
- The Renaissance in Northern Europe
- The decline in use of Latin and the rise of the vernacular
- Catholic Church structure and beliefs before the Reformation
- Martin Luther, the 95 theses and the origins of the Protestant Reformation
- Reformation art
- How the Reformation spread
- The Peasant Wars in Germany
- Switzerland's religious reform
- French Catholics vs. the Huguenots
- The Council of Trent and its impact
- Protestant influence on society after the Reformation
- How the Catholic Church changed as a result of the Reformation
McDougal Littell is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. The Renaissance Timeline: Events Overview
In this lesson, we will build an outline of the historical events which flow together to form the time periods of the Renaissance, Reformation, Age of Discovery, and the Elizabethan era.
2. The Italian Renaissance and Italy's Transformation
This lesson will discuss the three main reasons why Italy transformed from a group of competing city-states to the home of the birth of the Renaissance.
3. Humanism in the Renaissance: Recognizing the Beauty of the Individual
In this lesson, we will be discussing how humanism changed the idea of the individual from something sinful and controlled by the Church into something of great beauty and worth.
4. Renaissance Art: Artists, Paintings, Sculptures & Architecture
In this lesson, we will be discussing Renaissance art, focusing primarily on paintings, sculptures, and architecture. We will also be learning how humanism affected the art of this time period.
5. The Northern Renaissance
This lesson will focus on the Northern Renaissance. It will contrast the Renaissance of the North with the Italian Renaissance, exploring these differences in the areas of art, politics, and religion.
6. The Rise of the Vernacular and the Decline of Latin
This lesson explains how Latin was widespread in Europe during the Roman Empire as well as how vernacular languages slowly replaced it. It also reviews how the Romance languages developed.
7. The Catholic Church Before the Reformation: Beliefs and Practices
In 1500 C.E. the Roman Catholic Church was a very powerful institution in the West. Watch this video to learn how the Church maintained its power by teaching that salvation could only be earned by those who received the sacraments and performed good works.
8. Martin Luther, the 95 Theses and the Birth of the Protestant Reformation
This lesson covers the start of the Protestant Reformation. It begins by comparing the vast array and peacefulness of Christian denominations in modern days to the limited choices and violence of the past. Then it goes into the story of Martin Luther, from his 95 Theses through the Diet of Worms up to the beginning of the German Peasant Revolt.
9. Art in the Protestant Reformation: Albrecht Durer & Northern European Artists
The Protestant Reformation introduced some pretty substantial changes into European society. In this lesson, we'll be talking about some of the impacts it had on the art of Northern Europe.
10. The Spread of the Protestant Reformation Across Europe
In the 16th century, Martin Luther inspired people to believe that the Catholic Church shouldn't hold authority over laypeople. This lesson explores the spread of these Protestant ideas throughout Europe.
11. The Reformation's Impact on Germany: The Peasant Wars
The Reformation was a time when Christianity was split into Catholicism and Protestantism. This lesson explores the major changes brought about by the Reformation in Germany in the 16th century.
12. Religious Reform in Switzerland: Calvin & Zwingli's Teachings in the Reformation
The Protestant Reformation resulted in many people splitting from the Catholic Church. This lesson explores the effect of the Reformation in Switzerland under the leadership of Zwingli and Calvin.
13. The French Wars of Religion: Catholics vs. the Huguenots
The Protestant Reformation was so popular and controversial in Europe that it sometimes led to war. This lesson explores the violent effect of the Reformation in France as war erupted between the Catholics and the Protestants.
14. The Council of Trent: The Catholic Church Survives the Reformation
The Protestant Reformation was a movement of Christians who disagreed with some of the teachings and actions of the Catholic Church. This article explores the effect of the Reformation on the Church.
15. Life After the Reformation & Protestant Influence on Society
The Protestant Reformation was a huge movement that led to many Christians splitting from the Catholic Church. This lesson explores the after effects on families, education and social life.
16. The Reformers & the Catholic Church: How Religious Beliefs Transformed During the Reformation
The Protestant Reformation and Counter-Reformation challenged the beliefs of the Catholic Church. This lesson explores some of the differing beliefs among Protestant and Catholic reformers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the McDougal Littell World History: Online Textbook Help course
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 1: The Peopling of the World, Prehistory-2500 B.C.
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 2: Early River Valley Civilizations, 3500 B.C.-450 B.C.
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 3: People and Ideas on the Move, 2000 B.C.-250 B.C.
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 4: First Age of Empires, 1570 B.C.-200 B.C.
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 5: Classical Greece, 2000 B.C.-300 B.C.
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 6: Ancient Rome and Early Christianity, 500 B.C.-A.D. 501
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 7: India and China Establish Empires, 400 B.C.-A.D. 551
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 8: African Civilizations, 1500 B.C.-A.D. 701
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 9: The Americas: A Separate World, 40,000 B.C.-A.D. 701
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 10: The Muslim World, 600-1251
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 11: Byzantines, Russians, and Turks Interact, 500-1501
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 12: Empires in East Asia, 600-1351
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 13: European Middle Ages
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 14: The Formation of Western Europe
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 15: Societies and Empires of Africa
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 16: People and Empires in the Americas
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 18: The Muslim World Expands
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 19: An Age of Explorations and Isolations
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 20: The Atlantic World
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 21: Absolute Monarchs in Europe
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 22: Enlightenment and Revolutions
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 23: The French Revolution and Napoleon
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 24: Nationalists Revolutions Sweep the West
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 25: The Industrial Revolution
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 26: An Age of Democracy and Progress
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 27: The Age of Imperialism
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 28: Transformations Around the Globe
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 29: The Great War
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 30: Asian Revolutions and Nationalism
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 31: Years of World Crisis
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 32: World War Two
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 33: Restructuring the Postwar World
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 34: The Colonies Become New Nations
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 35: Struggles for Democracy
- McDougal Littell World History Chapter 36: Global Independence