About This Chapter
Meaning & Impact of Visuals - Chapter Summary
This professional development chapter is geared toward designers who are studying the applications of visual storytelling. As your employees work through the chapter's lessons, they'll review the meaning and impact of different types of visuals. They can also expect to learn strategies related to:
- Connecting with an audience
- Presenting data
- Conveying emotional messages
The chapter is available online 24/7, which helps your employees study visual communication concepts at all possible times. We've also introduced short quizzes to help your employees check their understanding of the material.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: The chapter's lessons help your employees become aware of the functions and applications of visuals in design.
- Offers useful visual media techniques: Your employees will learn take way strategies to help them present data and express emotional messages.
- Improves visual communication skills: Employees who complete the chapter should be able to integrate the chapter's concepts into their visual communication skill sets.
By the end of the chapter, your designers should be able to:
- Apply a variety of strategies to find meaning in visual media
- Use visuals to connect with audiences
- Define the principles of emotions and emotional messages
- Convey emotional messages with visual design
- Present data through textual and visual graphics
1. Finding Meaning in Visual Media: Strategies & Examples
You know how to read a book. But do you know how to 'read' a painting? In this lesson, you'll get some strategies for interpreting visual media like painting, sculpture, and photography.
2. Using Visuals to Connect to an Audience
This lesson is going to go over the fundamental ways you can use visuals to connect to an audience. We'll go over different types of visuals, when to use them, and what they help you accomplish.
3. Principles of Emotions & Emotional Messages
Dealing with and communicating our emotions can be rather difficult. This lesson discusses some common obstacles to communication and presents some solutions, like the use of I-messages and empathy.
4. Conveying Emotional Messages in Visual Design
Emotions are some of the most influential forces on Earth, and visual imagery can promote one or more of these powerful feelings. This lesson details some specific design elements that have been scientifically proven to evoke a particular emotion.
5. Using Visuals to Present Data: Textual Graphics vs. Visual Graphics
Textual and visual graphics can aid in visually presenting data to a business audience. You must first identify the type of data you will be presenting and then decide whether it is details, patterns or relationships being communicated.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.