About This Chapter
How it Works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your measurement and problem solving homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your measurement and problem solving homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Measurement and uncertainty in chemistry
- Base and derived units in silicon elements
- Units and conversions in the metric system
1. Measurements & Uncertainty in Science
In this lesson, you will discover the importance of precision and accuracy in science while learning to make measurements. Also, you will understand how to perform calculations with measurements that conserve precision and limit uncertainty.
2. Elements of the SI: Base & Derived Units
Discover what we mean by SI units. Then explore SI units further by learning about all the base units, and several examples of the derived units that make up the system.
3. The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Just like you and your friend communicate using the same language, scientists all over the world need to use the same language when reporting the measurements they make. This language is called the metric system. In this lesson we will cover the metric units for length, mass, volume, density and temperature, and also discuss how to convert among them.
4. Unit Conversion and Dimensional Analysis
How is solving a chemistry problem like playing dominoes? Watch this lesson to find out how you can use your domino skills to solve almost any chemistry problem.
5. Significant Figures and Scientific Notation
Are 7.5 grams and 7.50 grams the same? How do scientists represent very large and very small quantities? Find out the answers to these questions in this video.
6. English System Of Measurement: Definition, History, Advantages & Disadvantages
Yards, feet, inches, pounds, quarts, and miles are all part of the English system of measures. Learn more of its fascinating history and why most of the world has moved from this system to the modern metric system.
7. Measuring Temperature in the Lab: Instruments & Process
In this lesson, discover what temperature is a measurement of while learning how to properly measure temperature in a lab. Learn about the important instruments needed for this essential lab skill.
8. Converting 25 Degrees Celsius to Kelvin
In this lesson, you're going to learn how to quickly and easily convert from Celsius to Kelvin using a simple equation. You'll then learn how to double check your work.
9. Converting 5mm to Inches
In this lesson, you will learn the steps and calculation for converting 5 millimeters (mm) to inches (in). The lesson will conclude with a discussion of situations where conversions from millimeters to inches may be useful.
10. Converting 1 Inch to mm
In this lesson, you will learn how the relationships between units can be used to convert units. You will then see two methods for converting 1 inch to millimeters.
11. Converting 6.1 Amperes to Milliamperes
This lesson will first teach you how to quickly convert 6.1 amperes to milliamperes and then will teach you the steps necessary to convert any amount of amperes to milliamperes.
12. Converting 1 Trillion Seconds to Years
This lesson will show you how to convert 1 trillion seconds to years. Each step of the calculation will convert to a larger unit until the solution is in years.
13. Converting 1 Year to Seconds
This lesson will show you how to calculate the number of seconds in one year. Each step of the calculation converts one year to a smaller unit until the solution is in seconds.
14. Converting 1 eV to J
In this lesson we show how to convert electron volts to joules by examining the units of some basic equations. We then look at examples showing how this conversion may be applied in practical situations.
15. Converting 1 Metric Ton to lbs
In this lesson, you will learn the steps and calculation for converting 1 metric ton into pounds. The lesson will include examples of fields that may use the conversion of tons to pounds.
16. Converting 1 Metric Ton to Grams
In this lesson, you will learn the steps and calculation for converting 1 metric ton to grams. You will then see how the solution can be written in different formats, including scientific notation.
17. Converting Microinches to Inches
In this lesson, we will learn how to convert microinches to inches in one very easy step. Then we'll look at two different applications of microinches to see how converting to inches can give us a clearer picture.
18. How to Find 10 Miles in km
In this lesson, you will learn the steps for converting miles to kilometers. You will also see a calculation to determine the number of kilometers in 10 miles.
19. How to Convert 10,000,000 Ergs to Joules
In this lesson we convert 10,000,000 ergs to joules by using the definitions of mass, distance, force and energy in both the MKS and the CGS systems of measurement.
20. Converting 1 Acre to Square Feet
In this lesson, you will learn how to convert 1 acre to square feet. The lesson will conclude with examples of uses for converting acres to square feet.
21. Calculating 1 Stone in kg
In this lesson, you will learn the steps and calculation to convert 1 stone to kilograms. The lesson will conclude with a discussion about situations where this conversion may be useful.
22. Converting 1 oz. to Grams
In this lesson, you will learn the steps and calculation for converting 1 ounce to grams. The lesson will conclude with a discussion of items that may be converted from ounces to grams.
23. Converting 1 Pound to Grams
In this lesson, you will learn the steps and calculation to convert 1 pound to grams. The lesson will conclude with a discussion about situations where this conversion may be used.
24. Converting 1 Teaspoon to Grams
This lesson will give you quick way to convert from teaspoons to grams. Then, it will explain when such a conversion is valid, when it's not, and why.
25. Converting 1 Tablespoon to Grams
In this lesson, you'll learn how to convert tablespoons to grams with respect to water and other substances. You'll also learn some important distinctions between these two units of measure, as well as some real-life applications of the conversion.
26. Converting 5 Kilometers to Miles
In this lesson, we will discuss the relationship between kilometers and miles, and learn how to use that relationship to convert 5 kilometers to miles. We will also look at some applications of this conversion.
27. Converting 178 cm to Feet
In this lesson, you will learn the steps for converting centimeters to feet. You will also see a calculation to determine the number of feet in 178 centimeters, and you will learn some practical applications for this type of conversion.
28. Converting 60 cm to Inches: How-To & Steps
In this lesson, you'll learn how to quickly convert 60 centimeters to inches, using some basic math. Then, we'll discuss how to check your work using a different method of conversion.
29. Converting Acres to Hectares: How-To & Steps
In this lesson, you'll learn a quick way to converts acres to hectares, followed by a more detailed explanation of how to do this, and then a way you can check your work.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Chemistry: Homework Help Resource course
- Introduction to Chemistry: Homework Help
- Experimental Laboratory Chemistry: Homework Help
- What Is Matter? - Homework Help
- Understanding Atomic Structure: Homework Help
- The Periodic Table of Elements: Homework Help
- The Representative Elements of the Periodic Table: Homework Help
- Nuclear Chemistry: Homework Help
- Bonding: Homework Help
- Phase Changes for Liquids and Solids: Homework Help
- Gases in Chemistry: Homework Help
- Solutions in Chemistry: Homework Help
- Stoichiometry and Chemical Equations: Homework Help
- Acids, Bases, and Reactions: Homework Help
- Equilibrium: Homework Help
- Chemistry Kinetics: Homework Help
- Thermodynamics in Chemistry: Homework Help
- Organic Chemistry Basics: Homework Help
- Chemistry of DNA and RNA: Homework Help
- Chemistry of DNA Replication: Homework Help