About This Chapter
Measurement & Data - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our helpful instructors cover measurements and data for your review. When you work through these lessons, you'll understand the definition and principles of measurement, as well as different kinds of data, their definitions and examples of each. This chapter is designed to assist you in completing the following:
- Convert standard units of measure and units in the metric system
- Perform basic operations with measurements
- Explain mean absolute deviation with examples
- Detail the formulas used for quartiles and the interquartile range
- Provide examples of numerical data
- Define categorical data and discuss its analysis
- Differentiate between nominal, interval, ordinal and ratio measurements
We've made it easy to study these concepts with the mobile-friendly lessons you'll find in this chapter. Our video lessons are quickly navigable and are generally less than ten minutes long for ease of understanding. Keep tabs on your progress through the Dashboard and submit any questions that you have to one of our helpful instructors.
1. Understanding Measurement: Definition & Principles
After reading this lesson, you'll have the necessary information you need about measurement. You'll learn about how you can use iteration to help you measure and how measurement is both additive and invariant.
2. How to Convert Units in the Metric System
If you can make dinner, you can convert units in the metric system. It's that easy! In this lesson, you'll learn about the three key things you'll need to perform conversions.
3. How to Convert Standard Units of Measure
The United States uses pounds, miles, and Fahrenheit for measurements, but the rest of the world uses the metric system. This video lesson will help you to convert from one to the other easily, so you can understand kilometers and kilograms, too.
4. How to Perform Basic Operations with Measurements
In this video lesson, you will learn how measurements are very much like variables when it comes to adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing them. You will also see examples of how they are done.
5. What is Mean Absolute Deviation? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will first learn how to use the mean absolute deviation to find not only the average of a set of numbers but the average distance each number is from the average number. Then, we will show a step-by-step, real-world problem, to practice your skills.
6. Quartiles & the Interquartile Range: Definition, Formulate & Examples
Quartiles and the interquartile range can be used to group and analyze data sets. In this lesson, learn the definition and steps for finding the quartiles and interquartile range for a given data set.
7. What is Numerical Data? - Definition & Examples
You will find numerical data in mathematics and in science. Sometimes, it can get confusing to identify. In this lesson, you will learn about numerical data and how it is used.
8. Categorical Data: Definition, Analysis & Examples
Categorical data is often used in mathematical and scientific data collection. In this lesson, you will learn the definition of categorical data and analyze examples. When you've finished, review what you've learned with a short quiz.
9. Nominal, Ordinal, Interval & Ratio Measurements: Definition & Examples
Different types of data can be grouped and measured in different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about nominal, ordinal, interval, and ratio measurements.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Elementary Education (Grades 1-6) (197-200, 305): Practice & Study Guide course
- Foundations of Literacy
- Language Features & Acquisition
- Selecting Materials for Literacy Instruction
- Developing Emergent Literacy Skills
- Literacy Assessment & Differentiation
- Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- Decoding & Fluency Teaching Strategies
- Language & Reading Comprehension
- Vocabulary Acquisition & Use
- Reading Comprehension Instructional Strategies
- Analyzing Literary & Informational Texts
- Instructional Strategies for Literary & Text Analysis
- English Grammar Writing Conventions
- Writing Instruction & Feedback
- Instructional Strategies for Different Types of Writing
- Strategies for Teaching Speaking & Listening Skills
- Teaching Counting, Cardinality, Numbers & Operations
- Fraction Operations
- Teaching Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- Overview of Concepts in Algebra
- Principles of Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- Properties & Operations of Functions
- Geometry Concepts
- Data Distribution & Graphs
- Permutation & Combination
- Interpreting Statistical & Probability Data
- Mathematical Development & Curriculum
- Scientific Models & Relationships
- Scientific Inquiry & Lab Safety
- Evaluating Scientific Information
- Fundamental Concepts of Physical Science
- Fundamentals of Life Science
- Fundamentals of Earth & Space Science
- Overview of Government & Citizenship
- Overview of Economics & Political Principles for Illinois Educators
- Overview of History & Cultural Development for Illinois Educators
- Fundamentals of Human Geography for Illinois Educators
- Overview of the Arts for Educators
- Overview of Physical Education
- Human Body Systems & Fitness
- Personal, Family & Community Health Overview for Educators
- Illinois Learning Standards
- ILTS Elementary Education (Grades 1-6) Flashcards