About This Chapter
Measurement in Math - Chapter Summary
Become proficient in the basics of measurement, including converting between the English and metric systems and how to take measurements with various types of tools. Each topic is addressed in a video lesson to help you prepare for the CAHSEE exam. These lessons include instruction for the following topics:
- Units of measurement
- English and metric systems
- Converting units of measurement
- Measuring with various tools
The videos contained in this chapter will help you review all of the topics listed above. The informational lessons followed by self-assessing quizzes can help you discover whether you need to go back and brush-up on any additional concepts to get ready for the CAHSEE test.
CAHSEE Math Objectives
The California High School Exit Examination (CAHSEE) can determine whether you have the required skills to graduate from high school in California. The math test appears in two sessions of about 46 multiple-choice questions each. The measurement and geometry questions compose approximately 20% of the entire math test. Our lessons can help you meet the following tested objectives:
- Using standard units of measurement for weight, length, capacity and time
- Converting standard units of measure
- Performing basic operations with measurements
- Understanding the English and metric systems
- Measuring with gauges, meters and scales
Some of the quiz questions in our video lessons may be similar to the multiple-choice questions you'll encounter on the CAHSEE, making them a valuable tool for study.
1. Standard Units of Measurement for Length, Weight, Time & Capacity
Watch this video lesson to learn how to recognize the various units of measurement for length, weight, time and volume. Learn to recognize both U.S. units and metric units.
2. How to Convert Standard Units of Measure
The United States uses pounds, miles, and Fahrenheit for measurements, but the rest of the world uses the metric system. This video lesson will help you to convert from one to the other easily, so you can understand kilometers and kilograms, too.
3. How to Perform Basic Operations with Measurements
In this video lesson, you will learn how measurements are very much like variables when it comes to adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing them. You will also see examples of how they are done.
4. What is the Metric System?
Most of the world relies on the metric system for measuring distance, weight, volume, and time. Watch this video lesson to learn what kinds of measurements are used in the metric system.
5. How to Convert Units in the Metric System
If you can make dinner, you can convert units in the metric system. It's that easy! In this lesson, you'll learn about the three key things you'll need to perform conversions.
6. How to Take Measurements with Scales, Meters & Gauges
In the real world, we take measurements all the time. Measurements are taken when you drive and when you weigh yourself, for example. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can take measurements of things that are important.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CAHSEE Math Exam: Test Prep & Study Guide course
- Number Theory & Basic Arithmetic
- Problems with Decimals and Fractions
- Problems with Percents
- Problems with Radical Expressions & Equations
- Problems with Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- Algebraic Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Problems with Exponents
- Overview of Functions
- Rational Expressions & Practice
- Calculations with Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- Understanding Matrices & Absolute Value
- Quadratics & Polynomials
- Geometry: Graphing Basics
- Graphing on the Coordinate Plane
- Properties of Shapes
- Triangles, the Pythagorean Theorem & Congruency
- Perimeter, Area & Volume in Geometry
- Statistics, Probability & Working with Data
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Basic Mathematical Logic
- CAHSEE Math Exam Flashcards