About This Chapter
Measurement in Science - Chapter Summary
This chapter's range includes a look at how to perform basic error analysis. The major measurement types for central tendency are individually examined in a further lesson. The chapter also allows you to check your familiarity with these topics:
- The metric system and units of laboratory measurement
- Interpreting tables of scientific data
- Significant figures and scientific notation
- Interpreting graphs and charts of scientific data
The brief video lessons for each main topic cover the material with engaging demonstrations. The video tags give you an easy way to select the pieces you want to focus on the most. Self-assessment quizzes are another chapter resource, giving you practice with multiple-choice questions that zero in on the major points.
1. Understanding Laboratory Measurements: Units & Types
There are many different units that can be used for measurements. This may not only lead to incorrect data measurements, but also to confusion about which units are most appropriate. Therefore, a standard set of units is used for each type of measurement in the biology lab.
2. The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Just like you and your friend communicate using the same language, scientists all over the world need to use the same language when reporting the measurements they make. This language is called the metric system. In this lesson we will cover the metric units for length, mass, volume, density and temperature, and also discuss how to convert among them.
3. Significant Figures and Scientific Notation
Are 7.5 grams and 7.50 grams the same? How do scientists represent very large and very small quantities? Find out the answers to these questions in this video.
4. Interpreting Tables of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Complex table problems getting you down? Multi-question, situational problems don't have to be a drag on your testing performance. Learn how to apply three simple rules as we walk through two table problems together.
5. Interpreting Graphs and Charts of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Do charts and graphs make problem-solving difficult? Complex problems with visual representations can drain your brain during a test. In this lesson, learn three simple rules for solving problems with charts and graphs. We'll try them out as we walk through two sample problems.
6. Mean, Median & Mode: Measures of Central Tendency
By describing the data using central tendency, a researcher and reader can understand what the typical score looks like. In this lesson, we will explore in more detail these measures of central tendency and how they relate to samples and populations.
7. How to Accurately Perform Basic Error Analysis
In this lesson, learn about the different types of error that can affect a measurement and how to correct for them. In addition, learn how to quantify the amount of error in a measurement, a process called error analysis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Chemistry (528): Practice & Study Guide course
- Nature and History of Science
- Scientific Inquiry Principles and Procedures
- Chemistry in Daily Life and the Environment
- Energy Production
- Equipment, Safety Procedures and Hazards in the Chemistry Lab
- Forms of Energy and Conservation
- Gas Laws
- The Atom and Atomic Theory
- Nuclear Processes
- Thermochemistry & the Laws of Thermodynamics
- Properties of Liquids & Solids
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Overview of Stoichiometry
- Introduction to Chemical Bonds
- Trends of the Periodic Table
- Structure and Function of Macromolecules
- Basics of Metabolic Biochemistry
- Equilibrium in Chemistry
- Reaction Rates in Chemistry
- Elements, Compounds & Mixtures
- Types of Reactions in Chemistry
- GACE Chemistry Flashcards