About This Chapter
1. Changing Units in the Customary System of Measurement
Explore customary units and how they can be converted using simple ratios. You will learn the steps for performing a unit conversion calculation with a series of examples and practice problems.
2. Converting 1 Gram to Milliliters: How-to & Steps
Converting between grams and milliliters might be a little more complicated than you expect. We'll see how to make this conversion by converting one gram of powdered sugar to milliliters.
3. Converting 1 Ounce to Grams: How-To & Steps
In this lesson, we will go over the steps to convert 1 ounce to grams. You will learn the basics of setting up proportions by creating equivalent fractions. You will also learn how to cross-multiply two equal fractions to solve for an unknown variable.
4. Converting 10 mm to cm: How-to & Steps
What if you needed to know how many centimeters were in one millimeter, or vice versa? The metric system may seem mysterious, but don't worry. This lesson will provide the steps required to convert between two metric units of length: the millimeter and the centimeter. It will also offer an alternative method for converting between these units.
5. Converting 13 Gallons to Liters: How-to & Tutorial
In this lesson, we will walk through the steps of converting 13 gallons into liters. We will talk about setting up equivalent ratios and cross-multiplying in order to solve for a variable to get our answer.
6. Converting 18 Kilometers to Meters: How-to & Steps
In this lesson, we will learn how to convert one measurement to another. Specifically, we will convert 18 kilometers into meters by setting up equivalent ratios to solve for an unknown measurement.
7. How to Convert 20 cm to inches
How many inches does 20 centimeters represent? This lesson goes over how to convert from metric units of distance to standard units of distance in a step-by-step fashion.
8. Converting 30 cm to m: How-to & Steps
In this lesson, you will learn how to set up equivalent ratios in order to convert one measurement to another. We will go over each step in the process of converting 30 centimeters to meters.
9. Converting 48 Ounces to Pounds: How-to & Steps
In this lesson, we will go through the steps to convert the measurement of 48 ounces into an equal measurement of pounds. In doing this, you will learn how to set up equivalent ratios in a proportion and cross-multiply.
10. 5 Feet 2 Inches in Meters: How-to & Steps
Converting from a measurement in feet and inches to a measurement in meters may seem daunting, but this lesson gives an easy-to-follow, step-by-step method for making this conversion.
11. Converting 5 Micrometers to Meters: How-to & Steps
What is a micrometer and how do you convert something measured in these units to a meter? This lesson goes over a step by step process for making this distance conversion.
12. Converting 500 grams to Kilograms: How-to & Steps
In this lesson, we will go over the steps of converting 500 grams to kilograms by setting up fractions and cross multiplying in order to get an equation where we can solve for the unknown.
13. 500nm to m: How-to & Steps
What is a nanometer (nm), and how do you convert this unit into meters? This lesson goes over the problem of converting 500 nm into meters and also gives some information about fields of study that use this tiny distance measurement.
14. Converting 60 Feet to Yards: How-to & Steps
This lesson will teach you how to convert from feet to yards. To solve this problem we will set up a conversion ratio and an equivalent ratio and cross-multiply to find the answer.
15. Converting 62 Inches to Feet: How-to & Steps
In this lesson, we will go over the steps of converting 62 inches into feet. We'll look at setting up fractions, writing equivalent ratios, and cross multiplying.
16. Converting 750 Grams to Cups: How-to & Steps
Converting 750 grams of water to cups sounds tricky at first, but once you find out how to convert this mass measurement to a volume measurement it won't seem difficult at all.
17. Converting 1 kg to g: How-to & Tutorial
Converting between units can be confusing and frustrating. This lesson will provide you with the steps necessary to successfully convert between kilograms and grams. And you can use what you learn here when converting between other units as well.
18. How to Convert 1 Nautical Mile to Meters
How do you convert 1 nautical mile to meters? The conversion is actually quite simple, as this lesson will explain. The lesson also goes over what a nautical mile is, who uses it, and how its definition has changed since it was created.
19. Converting 225 Degrees to Radians: How-To & Steps
How do you change from an angle measured in degrees to an angle measured in radians? Find out what a radian is and how to convert between the two units by reading this step by step lesson.
20. Converting 26 inches to cm: How-to & Steps
While learning the steps of converting 26 inches to centimeters, you will also learn the basics of setting up equivalent ratios and cross-multiplying in order to solve for an unknown variable.
21. Converting 3.5 Grams to Ounces: Steps & Tutorial
What is the process for converting from grams to ounces? What are the hidden assumptions in this conversion? This lesson goes over both the process and the assumption associated with this type of conversion.
22. Converting 3 Yards to Feet: How-to & Tutorial
In this lesson, we will go through the steps of converting 3 yards into feet. We will learn how to set up equivalent ratios as fractions and cross-multiply those fractions in order to solve for a variable.
23. Metric System Prefixes & Abbreviations
Learning about the metric system may seem overwhelming. This lesson provides hints to help you master the metric system's prefixes and abbreviations quickly. Mass, volume, and length units are used to demonstrate the prefixes and abbreviations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the General Studies Science: Help & Review course
- Chemical Compounds & Bonds Overview
- Drawing Conclusions from a Scientific Investigation
- Electricity Fundamentals & Overview
- Energy & Heat Overview
- Essential Biology Concepts
- Essential Chemistry Concepts
- Essential Concepts in Physics
- Evolutionary Principles
- Genetics & Evolution Overview
- Food Webs Overview
- Components of Living Things
- Intro to Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Human Body Systems: Functions & Processes
- Foundations of Chemical Compounds & Bonds
- Foundations of Chemical Reactions, Acids, and Bases
- Foundations of Energy & Heat
- Foundations of Magnetism
- Fundamentals of Mechanics
- Lab Equipment for Scientific Study
- Nuclear Energy Fundamentals
- Planning a Scientific Investigation Or Experiment
- Plant & Soil Ecology
- Populations & Relationships in Ecology
- Sound & Light Waves
- Studying Biological Communities
- The Periodic Table, Atoms & Elements
- Using Data for Investigation & Experimentation
- Scientific Data: Organization, Analysis & Drawing Conclusions
- Types of Living Things
- Plant Structure & Processes
- Fundamentals of Matter
- Mechanics of Physics
- Introduction to Relativity
- Fundamentals of Electricity
- Introduction to Magnetism
- Fundamentals of Waves, Sound and Light
- Space, The Solar System and the Universe
- Introduction to Atmospheric Science
- Geology Basics
- Fundamentals of Genetics