About This Chapter
Mechanisms of Cellular Respiration - Chapter Summary
As you go through these lessons on mechanisms of cellular respiration, you will get an understanding of oxidative phosphorylation. You will also look at a chemical formula for aerobic respiration. By the end of the chapter, you should be ready to:
- Discuss energy transfer in cells
- Define anaerobic respiration
- List the steps involved in aerobic respiration
- Explain the importance of the glycolysis pathway
- Recall the steps of the citric acid cycle
- Discuss how living cells metabolize glucose
- Explain the process of lactic acid fermentation
- Determine the respiratory quotient of carbohydrates
These mobile-friendly lessons can help you easily understand mechanisms of cellular respiration. A brief quiz is available for each lesson to test your understanding of key concepts. Full transcripts are available for each lesson.
1. Cellular Respiration: Energy Transfer in Cells
Watch this short video to learn the basics about converting organic compounds into ATP, also known as cellular respiration. We'll look at an overview of the process.
2. Anaerobic Respiration: Definition, Equation & Examples
Many organisms are capable of undergoing anaerobic respiration. In some cases, it's a 'backup plan' when oxygen is absent, and in other cases, they thrive that way. Here we will investigate what anaerobic respiration is, the equation and examples of it at work.
3. Aerobic Respiration: Definition, Steps, Products & Equation
Aerobic respiration is the process most living things undergo to use food energy. Here, we will investigate the definition, the steps of the process, what goes in and what comes out of the process, and the chemical formula. Get ready to breathe!
4. Glycolysis Pathway: Steps, Products & Importance
Cellular respiration creates chemical energy in the form of ATP from the food we eat and the air we breathe. In this lesson, we'll learn about the first part of this process, glycolysis.
5. The Citric Acid (Krebs) Cycle: Products and Steps
In this lesson, we return to the process of cellular respiration for the second act of creating energy from food. In this act, products from glycolysis feed into the next stage, the citric acid cycle.
6. Oxidative Phosphorylation: Definition, Steps & Products
Learn about the process through which living cells metabolize glucose. This article will focus on what oxidative phosphorylation is, the key steps leading up to oxidative phosphorylation, and the end results.
7. Lactic Acid Fermentation: Definition, Products & Equation
In this lesson, we'll be looking at the process of lactic acid fermentation. This is a crucial part of our muscles' ability to regenerate after being worked out too hard. You'll also learn about the products of this process and even its equation. Then you can test your knowledge with a quiz!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISC Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Classification & Diversity of Life
- Kingdom Monera, Protista & Fungi
- Classification in the Animal Kingdom
- Overview of Vertebrates
- Classification in the Plant Kingdom
- Plant Physiology: Growth & Nutrition
- Plant Tissue: Structure & Function
- Absorption & Movement of Water in Plants
- Plant Morphology
- Reproduction of Flowering Plants
- Mechanisms of Photosynthesis
- Cell Structure Overview
- Cell Membrane Basics
- DNA Basics
- Recombinant DNA & Its Applications
- Overview of Basic Genetic Principles
- Chromosomes & Genetics
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Overview of Biomolecules
- Enzyme Mechanisms
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Nutrition & the Digestive System
- Human Respiratory System Overview
- Basics of the Circulatory System
- Excretory System Overview
- Endocrine System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- The Musculoskeletal System
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Human Disease & Defense
- Origin & Evolution of Life
- Overview of Ecosystems
- Community Ecology Overview
- Overview of Biodiversity
- Environmental Biology Overview
- Biological Applications in Agriculture
- ISC Biology Flashcards