About This Chapter
Media & Advertising of Health Information -- Chapter Summary
Watch these video lessons to get an understanding of what advertising is and how it is used to promote products and services. Learn about rules for media outlets. Look at strategies that could be used to market health concepts, including social media.
Other lessons explore various types of persuasion, including subliminal messages. You get information about perception as well. These lessons should prepare you to:
- Give examples of effective advertising campaigns in different media
- Look at laws that govern the media and advertising
- Discuss methods of persuasion used in advertising
- Devise marketing strategies for health concepts and principles
- Explain how the same message can be interpreted differently by different people
- State the advantages and disadvantages of promoting a product with social media
Taught by experienced educators, these lessons offer a lighthearted look at important concepts. The self-assessment quizzes at the end of each video let you test your knowledge. If you need more help, you can contact the instructor directly.
1. What is Advertising? - Definition & Examples
The greatest product or service in the world won't make money unless consumers know it exists. In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of advertising, common advertising media, and read some examples of effective advertising.
2. Rules Governing the Media: Definition & Examples
The First Amendment guarantees freedom of the press, but the government still regulates the media in many ways. This lesson examines the laws, rules and regulations that govern various media outlets.
3. Subliminal Advertising: Definition, History & Examples
Can words flashed quickly on a screen make you want to purchase a product? Can a hidden image persuade you to spend your hard-earned cash on something you don't need? These questions surrounding subliminal advertising are discussed in this lesson.
4. Advertising Media Choices and Marketing Strategy
There are many different types of advertising media that marketing managers can choose from in order to create a successful marketing strategy. This lesson covers some of those options, including printed media, television and outdoor media.
5. Using Social Media in the Classroom
Social media has become second nature to today's learners, so why not use it in the classroom? This lesson provides an overview of social media and explains how it can be used to enhance student learning.
6. How Perception Influences the Communication Process
Perception's effect on the communication process is all about how the same message can be interpreted differently by different people. Distortions, such as stereotypes, projections and halo effects, all affect worker relationships and productivity.
7. Social Media and Online Communities: Popularity, Use & Purpose
In this lesson, we explore the new and ever-changing environment of social media platforms, as well as detailing some of its uses and some of its purported dangers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Health Education (073): Practice and Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Adult Growth & Development
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Introduction to Health & Wellness
- Introduction to Disease & Illness
- Mental Distress, Depression & Suicide
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Benefits of Physical Fitness
- Health Risk Education
- Injury Prevention Strategies
- Substance Use & Abuse
- Human Sexuality & Health
- Communication Processes & Skills
- Family & Social Systems
- Discrimination, Aggression & Conflict
- Resources for Health Information
- Health Care Systems
- Overview of Health Education Programs
- NYSTCE Health Education Flashcards