About This Chapter
Media Literacy Fundamentals - Chapter Summary
If you need to review the basics of media literacy, you're in the right place. This collection of engaging and expertly taught lessons examines the importance of media literacy in the digital age, as well information related to the knowledge gap hypothesis. The chapter is available to study at any time, and you can use any computer or mobile device to access it. We've also included short quizzes to help you solidify your understanding of media literacy fundamentals. When you're finished, you should be able to:
- Define media literacy and discuss its importance
- Explain how media literacy can affect the use of digital media products
- Analyze the knowledge gap hypothesis
1. What is Media Literacy? - Definition, Importance & Examples
In this lesson, we will explore the role and purpose of media literacy in society in history and today. Examples of media, mass media communications and media literacy will be explained and evaluated in order to form an understanding of why media literacy is critically important for the 21st century.
2. Knowledge Gap Hypothesis: Definition & Analysis
This lesson is going to go over something known as the knowledge gap hypothesis. First, you'll learn what it is, then why it occurs, and finally a bit about the support and criticisms surrounding it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Communications 106: Communication in the Digital Age course
- Introduction to Communication
- Mass Communication Theories & Models
- Mass Media & Communication
- Economics of Mass Media
- Digital Communication Tools
- Impact of Digital Communication
- Digital Media Regulation
- Print Media in the Digital Age
- Television & Movies in the Digital Age
- Video Games in the Digital Age