About This Chapter
Medical Emergencies for Nurses - Chapter Summary
If you are planning a career in the nursing profession, it's a good idea to make sure that you understand the different types of medical emergencies that you will likely encounter. Comprehensive overviews of different medical emergencies and treatments for them can be found in the lessons included in this chapter.
Read through these lessons to learn about the most common medical emergencies that nurses face, as well as specific strategies for dealing with each. Our lesson instructors will go through all relevant points on each emergency and the ways to be prepared as a medical professional. Read these video lessons to learn about:
- Types of medical emergencies and strategies for each
- Uncommon medical emergencies
- Definition and examples of medical therapies
If you would like to test your understanding of each of these topics, you can answer questions contained in the chapter's practice quizzes and final exam. For further information--or clarification on specific points--the chapter allows you to message the lesson instructors directly. Additionally, be sure to use your Dashboard to keep track of your learning progress on the subject.
1. Common Medical Emergencies for Nurses: Types & Strategies
Nurses may deal with many different emergencies in any given day. In this lesson we will review a few of the emergencies nurses may come across and appropriate ways to manage them.
2. Understanding Uncommon Medical Emergencies for Nurses
Medical dramas on television portray a nurse's job as full of extreme life or death emergencies. It is true that there are major traumas and gunshot wounds, but there are also other emergencies that nurses must recognize. Let's look at some of these more uncommon emergencies.
3. Common Medical Therapies for Nurses: Definition & Examples
Nurses care for patients in all different settings and are responsible for providing many different therapies to patients. In this lesson, we will learn about some medical therapies and what nurses should do if the therapy isn't tolerated well.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NCLEX-RN Study Guide & Practice course
- The Profession of Nursing
- Legal Aspects of Nursing
- Nursing Communication & Patient Rights
- Communication & Interpersonal Relations in Nursing
- Safety & Security in Nursing
- Infection Control & Sterilization
- The Aging Process
- Pregnancy & Newborn Care
- Understanding Human Development
- Disease Prevention & Health Screening
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Physical Assessment Techniques
- Recognizing Abuse & Neglect
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Substance Dependence Disorders
- Crisis Situations & Intervention
- End of Life Care
- Mental Health Concepts
- Religious & Spiritual Influences on Health
- Sensory & Perceptual Development
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Health Care Support Systems
- Understanding Elimination in Nursing
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Hygiene for Nurses
- Understanding Rest & Sleep for Nurses
- Medication Administration & Nursing
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management for Nurses
- Nutrition Essentials for Nursing
- Clinical Test Results - Cells and Blood Proteins: Help and Review
- Diagnostics, Testing & Procedures for Nursing
- Alterations of the Musculoskeletal System
- Fluid & Electrolyte Balance Concerns in Nursing
- Understanding Oxygenation in Nursing
- Illness Management for Nurses
- The Basic Components of Pathophysiology
- NCLEX-RN Flashcards