About This Chapter
Medical Emergency Care - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find out about types of emergency care and the steps everyone should know how to take in a medical emergency. Learn about basic first-aid requirements so that in case of injury or illness, you'll be able to keep the situation from becoming worse.
As the chapter progresses, it will teach you about cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), what it is and how to perform it when dealing with a cardiopulmonary or respiratory emergency. Finally, you'll learn about the various types of PPE and the situations in which this equipment should be used. At the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe basic life-saving steps to be taken in a medical emergency
- List first-aid requirements for various situations
- Define cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and when and how to use it
- Describe PPE and acceptable situations for using it
These steps and procedures are taught via brief, informative videos that are fun to watch. They are accompanied by self-assessment quizzes and lesson transcripts to enhance your learning. We will give you key terms you need to remember, and you'll also find video tags that take you to the specific point in a video that you want to review. All these learning tools have been designed by professional instructors who are experts in their field.
1. Providing Emergency Care: Types & Methods
This lesson will teach you the first important steps you may need to take during an emergency situation and some basic but important life-saving techniques you can use during such an emergency.
2. Animal Bites & Poisoning: First Aid
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the important first aid techniques you should employ in the case of animal bites and poisonings while you wait for emergency services.
3. Anaphylaxis & Insect Bites or Stings: First Aid
In this lesson, you're going to learn about two interrelated topics: anaphylaxis and insect bites and stings. Find out how they're related and what you can do about them.
4. Stroke & Spine Injuries: First Aid
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the important basic first aid steps you should take when a person is suffering from a stroke or has undergone spinal trauma.
5. Frostbite & Hypothermia: First Aid
In this lesson, you're going to learn about two dangers associated with the cold: hypothermia and frostbite, as well as the basic first aid involved with both of them.
6. Burns, Heatstroke & Electrical Shock: First Aid
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the basic first aid procedures you can employ in case you or someone else suffers from an electrical shock, a minor burn, or heatstroke.
7. Bleeding, Puncture Wounds & Fractures: First Aid
In this lesson, you're going to learn important basic first aid techniques you can use to help people who are bleeding severely, who have a puncture wound, or who have a fracture.
8. Fainting & Shock: First Aid
Shock, the medical kind, is a really serious and life-threatening condition, and fainting may be a sign of a serious problem as well. This lesson will go over the basic first aid techniques you should employ in either scenario.
9. Eye Injuries & Head Trauma: First Aid
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the difference between a simple black eye and a potentially dangerous one, as well as what you should do about it. You'll also learn about cases of head trauma in general.
10. Foreign Objects: First Aid
In this lesson, you're going to learn some basic first aid techniques you can use to help yourself or others who have a foreign object stuck in their eyes, ears, nose, skin, and more.
11. Choking, Chest Pain & Heart Attack: First Aid
First aid can save lives in the case of choking or chest pain. In this lesson, you're going to learn what you need to do if you notice someone choking or having a heart attack.
12. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR): Definition & Procedure
Are you prepared for an emergency situation? Cardiopulmonary resuscitation, or CPR, is a potentially life-saving procedure that you can perform to help a person whose breathing and heartbeat have stopped. In this lesson, learn the procedures for giving CPR.
13. What Is PPE? - Definition, Safety & Requirements
From this lesson you will be learning about PPE. This includes how they prevent the spread of germs, the different types of PPE, and when to use them appropriately.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Health Education (211): Test Practice and Study Guide course
- Overview of the Human Body
- Human Development
- Childhood Growth and Development
- Adolescent Growth and Development
- Adult Growth and Development
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Health & Nutrition
- Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity in the Body
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Principles of Nutritional Health
- Substance Use, Abuse and Dependence
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Safety and Injury Prevention Strategies
- Physical Fitness Benefits
- Human Sexuality
- Family and Social Systems
- Dealing with Negative Social Behavior
- Public Health Emphasis
- Health Risk Factors
- Health Information Resources
- Media & Advertising in Health Information
- Health Care Delivery Systems
- Health Education Programs
- Planning & Implementing Health Education Programs
- Evaluating Health Education Programs
- ILTS Health Education Flashcards