About This Chapter
Medical Records & HIPAA - Chapter Summary
What is doctor/patient confidentiality? What are patient rights under HIPAA guidelines? How are patients involved in treatment decisions? These are some of the major topics you will explore when you use this comprehensive chapter.
Other lessons focus on health records: how they are managed and analyzed and how they are beneficial in healthcare settings. After you complete your study of this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Provide details about the history and benefits of electronic health records
- Apply methods to analyze health care records
- Explain the purpose and components of patient care data sets (PCDS)
- Understand laws addressing doctor/patient confidentiality
- Discuss aspects of the HIPAA privacy rule, such as what is protected and how it impacts patient rights
- Describe patient rights in regards to treatment decisions
Each lesson found in this chapter provides key term definitions and examples to help you quickly learn and retain information about these topics. Lessons are accessible at all times, from any device, so you can create a convenient study schedule. Self-assessment quizzes are a great way to measure your knowledge and determine your readiness in moving from one lesson to another.
1. What are Electronic Health Records? - Definition & Overview
Electronic health records have been around since the late 1970s, but they've only recently begun to boom in the health care world. In this lesson, learn about the definition, history, and benefits of EHRs.
2. How to Analyze Health Care Records
Analyzing health care records can be a challenging task! This lesson will discuss what health care analysis is, and how to properly perform the analysis of health care records.
3. Patient Care Data Set (PCDS): Purpose & Components
There are challenges when attempting to document provider and patient interactions, especially in acute care settings. In this lesson, learn the components and purpose of the Patient Care Data Set (PCDS), a useful documentation tool.
4. Understanding Doctor/Patient Confidentiality Law
Keeping private information between a doctor and patient is not a simple issue. This lesson provides definitions and introduces current laws. It also gives examples of when private medical information may be revealed.
5. HIPAA Privacy Rule: Definition & Procedures
This lesson will discuss elements of the HIPAA privacy rule, including how it came about, who is covered, and what information is protected. This lesson will also discuss some of the principles for uses and disclosure that are contained in the privacy rule.
6. HIPAA Privacy Rule: Patient Rights
It's a funny sounding acronym, but its meaning is quite serious. In this lesson, we'll take a closer look at the types of rights and protections that HIPAA affords patients in a medical setting and with health records.
7. Understanding Patient Rights & Treatment Decisions
Sometimes, the world of healthcare can be complicated. Conditions must be cured, and injuries must be healed, but the physician must always respect the right of the patient to make their own treatment decisions. We'll explore that idea in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CCMA Basic Exam: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Medical Terminology, References & Coding
- Formation of Medical Terms
- Medical Abbreviations, Acronyms & Symbols
- Anatomy & Physiology of the Body as a Whole
- Skin System
- Musculoskeletal System Anatomy & Function
- Nervous System Anatomy & Function
- Sensory Systems Anatomy & Function
- Cardiovascular System Anatomy & Function
- Respiratory System Anatomy & Function
- Digestive System Functions & Organs
- Urinary Systems & Structures
- Reproductive System Anatomy & Function
- Overview of the Endocrine System
- Nutrition, Fitness & Weight Control in Health Care
- Prescriptions & Medications
- Diagnostic Testing in Health Care
- Legal Aspects of Medical Assisting in California
- Patient Communications & Education for Nurses
- Human Resources Policies & Employee Safety in CA