About This Chapter
Medical Terminology for the Nervous System - Chapter Summary
The nervous system provides sensation and control to the human body. Using the lessons in this chapter, you will learn the difference between the central and peripheral nervous system and how nerves function. Each part of the anatomy of the nervous system will be covered separately, letting you get a firm grounding in the terminology used to describe them. When you have finished your review, you can assess your grasp of the material with the interactive quizzes available in each lesson. The handy Dashboard feature of your account makes it easy to take these lessons with you wherever you go, using a wide variety of devices. In these lessons, you'll learn things like:
- The difference between the central and peripheral nervous systems
- How the nervous system functions
- What nerves are
- The structure and function of neurons
- How the spinal cord functions and is structured
- What the parts of the brain are
1. What is a Nerve? - Definition & Associated Terminology
This lesson defines and explains what nerves are as well as associated terminology: neurons, receptors, impulse, stimulus, ascending and descending nerve tracts, ganglion, and plexus.
2. The Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems
Did you know that hammerhead sharks and platypuses share a special type of sensory neuron that humans and most other animals don't have? In this lesson, you'll find out what that sensory neuron and a whole lot of others can do. You'll also learn how the nervous system is organized and the differences between the central and peripheral nervous systems.
3. Functions of the Nervous System
In this lesson, we'll watch Timmy as he plays in his backyard. Watch what happens when he tries to catch a butterfly, hears a mean dog bark, and scrapes his knee. All of Timmy's reactions are tied to his nervous system. For a full explanation of what goes on in the human nervous system, check out the video!
4. The Structure and Function of Neurons
In this video lesson, you'll learn about neurons, which are specialized cells in the nervous system. Check out how far neurons can send signals throughout the body and how depolarization is much like 'the wave' at a football game.
5. Gross Anatomy of the Human Brain: Major Anatomical Structures and Terminology
In this video, you'll find out how and why we divide our brain into major sections. It's not just random names and games. You'll learn about where these divisions occur, what we call them, and what they separate.
6. Parts of the Brain
Is there a way to easily remember the many parts of the brain? Don't be afraid of all these complex terms; this lesson outlines some easy and fun phrases to help you memorize the brain's anatomy. Let's take a look.
7. Spinal Cord Structure, Function & Terminology
This lesson will go over the fundamental structure and function of the spinal cord. It will also cover the combining form that pertains to the spinal cord and delineate it from commonly confused combining forms.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 103: Medical Terminology course
- Overview of Medical Terminology
- Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terms for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Overview & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary for Genetics, Cells & Tissues
- Terminology for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Medical Terms for the Skeletal System
- Terminology & Functions of the Muscular System
- Terminology for the Cardiovascular System
- Medical Terms for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathology, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Medical Terminology for the Urinary System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions & Treatment
- Medical Terminology Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terms Related to the Ears
- Medical Terms for the Integumentary System
- Medical Terms for the Endocrine System
- Medical Terminology for the Reproductive Systems
- Medical Terms for Diagnostic Exams
- Medical Terms for Radiology, Pharmacology & Oncology