About This Chapter
Medical Terminology for the Reproductive Systems - Chapter Summary
This collection of medical terminology lessons examines terms related to the male and female reproductive systems. Through a series of bite-sized lessons and practice quizzes, you'll quickly review and solidify your understanding of vocabulary pertaining to reproductive system disorders, diseases, functions, pathology and more. Study the chapter whenever you have extra time and feel free to reach out to our expert instructors if you have any questions. Upon completion of this chapter, you'll be equipped to:
- Identify the structures and functions of the male and female reproductive systems
- Recognize male and female reproductive system disorders and diseases
- Define vocabulary related to menstrual conditions, as well as pregnancy and childbirth diagnoses and treatments
- Name diagnostic tests and hormonal treatments for female reproductive disorders
- Understand how disorders of the uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries are treated
- Evaluate pregnancy and childbirth pathology
1. Functions & Structures of the Male Reproductive System
This lesson is going to cover the basic structures and functions that are a part of the male reproductive system. We will look at how these structures work together to allow for semen production and ejaculation.
2. Male Reproductive Diseases & Disorders
There is a variety of different reproductive diseases and disorders that can affect men. This lesson describe the basics of four of them: BPH, prostate cancer, hypogonadism, and cryptorchidism.
3. Female Reproductive System: Functions & Structures
The primary function of the female reproductive system is to produce offspring. In this lesson, you'll travel through the female reproductive system. Along the way, you'll learn about important structures and the roles they play in creating life.
4. Diagnostic Tests for Female Reproductive Disorders
This lesson will discuss the diagnostic tests used to determine conditions and diseases that may affect the female reproductive system. We will discuss which conditions and diseases the tests diagnose, and how the tests are done.
5. Hormonal Treatments for Female Reproductive Disorders
This lesson is going to look at some of the hormonal treatments that are available for pregnancy and for disorders that may occur in the female reproductive system. We will cover which hormones are used to treat the conditions and to prevent pregnancy.
6. Treatments for Disorders of the Uterus
We are going to discuss some of the common treatments that are performed to correct disorders of the uterus. We will look into what disorders they correct and when they are advised.
7. Treatments for Disorders of the Fallopian Tubes & Ovaries
In this lesson, we're going to become familiar with the different treatment options available for disorders of the fallopian tubes and ovaries. We'll touch on when the treatments are required.
8. Pathology Related to Pregnancy & Childbirth
In this video lesson, we will cover the conditions that may occur during pregnancy and childbirth. You will have the opportunity to take a quiz after learning about each of the disorders, some of their symptoms, and related outcomes.
9. Pregnancy & Childbirth-Related Diagnosis Vocabulary
This lesson covers the common diagnostic tests that are done for pregnancy and childbirth. We look at what the tests are screening for and possible outcomes.
10. Pregnancy & Childbirth-Related Treatment Vocabulary
This lesson will cover the treatments that are available for pregnancy- and childbirth-related issues. We will look at when and why they are used in relation to infertility and other conditions associated with pregnancy and childbirth.
11. Female Reproductive Diseases & Disorders
The female reproductive system can be complicated, and as you can imagine, many things can go wrong. Learn about some of the more common disorders of the female reproductive system in this lesson.
12. Menstrual Conditions: Vocabulary
Menstruation is supposed to occur on a regular basis. But sometimes this doesn't happen. There are many technical words for abnormal menstrual cycles or menstrual flow. This lesson defines a lot of them.
13. Overview of Major Sexually Transmitted Diseases
In this lesson, we will discuss the major sexually transmitted diseases and their causative agents. We will also look at symptoms, vaccines that may be available, and possible cures. Learn how to keep yourself healthy by preventing and correctly treating an STD.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 103: Medical Terminology course
- Overview of Medical Terminology
- Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terms for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Overview & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary for Genetics, Cells & Tissues
- Terminology for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Medical Terms for the Skeletal System
- Terminology & Functions of the Muscular System
- Terminology for the Cardiovascular System
- Medical Terms for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathology, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Medical Terminology for the Urinary System
- Medical Terminology for the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions & Treatment
- Medical Terminology Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terms Related to the Ears
- Medical Terms for the Integumentary System
- Medical Terms for the Endocrine System
- Medical Terms for Diagnostic Exams
- Medical Terms for Radiology, Pharmacology & Oncology