About This Chapter
Medical Terminology for the Urinary System - Chapter Summary
The urinary system is part of the body's excretory system and is used to remove wastes and excess water. Use these lessons to learn about the terminology medical professionals use when discussing this system. You will explore the gross anatomy of the urinary system as well as some of the most common injuries and diseases to affect it. Every lesson is available at your convenience and can be studied on your phone, tablet or computer. The Dashboard of your account makes it easy to jump between devices without fear of losing your place. When you have finished this chapter, you will better understand:
- The gross anatomy of the urinary system
- What the most common kidney pathologies are
- How medical professionals diagnose urinary system problems
- The terminology used when discussing kidney stones
- Vocabulary doctors and nurses use to talk about bladder and urethra treatments
1. Gross Anatomy of the Urinary System
Our body must detoxify and cleanse itself to thrive. That is why we depend so heavily on our liver and urinary system. In this lesson, we'll explore how toxins are filtered by our organs and how urine is formed and expelled with the nephron, bladder, ureters, and urethra.
2. Pathologies of the Kidneys
We will look at the most common conditions that affect the kidneys and their causes. The diseases that infect the kidneys will also be covered. The lesson will go over the signs and symptoms associated with each pathology.
3. Diagnosis of Medical Problems of the Urinary System
This lesson is going to cover the diagnostic testing that is used to detect problems in the urinary tract. We will look at imaging as well as physical and chemical tests.
4. Kidney & Stone Treatment Terminology
The kidneys are important for filtering the blood and keeping us healthy. This lesson is going to cover the treatments that are used to treat certain conditions of the kidneys and stones that develop in the urinary tract.
5. Bladder & Urethra Treatment Vocabulary
We are going to discuss the treatments that are done on the bladder and urethra in order to correct problems found in these structures. Learn about why these treatments are performed and use the quiz to test your knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 103: Medical Terminology course
- Overview of Medical Terminology
- Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terms for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Overview & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary for Genetics, Cells & Tissues
- Terminology for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Medical Terms for the Skeletal System
- Terminology & Functions of the Muscular System
- Terminology for the Cardiovascular System
- Medical Terms for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathology, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Medical Terminology for the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions & Treatment
- Medical Terminology Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terms Related to the Ears
- Medical Terms for the Integumentary System
- Medical Terms for the Endocrine System
- Medical Terminology for the Reproductive Systems
- Medical Terms for Diagnostic Exams
- Medical Terms for Radiology, Pharmacology & Oncology