About This Chapter
Medical Terminology Related to the Eyes - Chapter Summary
Define eye-related medical terminology with this convenient medical terminology study resource. Inside the chapter, you'll find engaging lessons and practice quizzes to help you review and retain your understanding of medical terms related to eye structure, functions, conditions, disorders, treatments and more. These lessons are available at any time that fits your schedule and you can use any computer or mobile device to study. After finishing the chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand the functions of the eyes
- Recognize large eye structures, including the retina, rods, cones and fovea
- Define terms related to eye conditions, disorders and functional defects
- Assess the pathologies of eye-related structures
- Comprehend vocabulary related to eye diagnostic procedures and treatments
1. Function & Structure of the Eyes
There are many structures associated with your eyes that protect them from harm and keep them moist. In this lesson, we look at these external and accessory structures, and learn how they help you see the world around you.
2. The Eye and Eyesight: Large Structures
Would you be able to see anything without a lens in your eye? Does the lens change shape? Does the iris? What structure gives you your eye color? Find out all of this and about things like the ciliary muscles and the cornea as we delve into this lesson.
3. Receptors of the Back of the Eye: Retina, Rods, Cones & Fovea
Find out how we see the world in color, what rods and cones are, and how camera film fits into all of this. In addition, you'll find out what the retina is and what gives you the ability to see at night.
4. Eye Condition Terms: Uveal Tract, Iris, Sclera & Cornea
While your eyes are certainly beautiful, they can experience some ugly problems. Some might be caused by your pet cat and others by nasty bacteria. Find out what they are here!
5. Major Disorders of the Eye: Definitions & Terminology
Have you ever seen those weird-looking spots or specks in your field of vision randomly floating about? This lesson tells you what they are and defines many other weird and wonderful conditions of the eye.
6. Functional Defects of the Eye: Terminology
Cross eyed, wall eyed, old eyed, double vision, night blind, color blind. All of those are pretty familiar sounding terms to you, right? But do you now the technical terms for them? If you don't, then get going on this lesson!
7. Pathologies of Structures Related to the Eye: Vocabulary
Pink eye, dry eye, and more! Eye don't know what to say. There's a lot of problems our eyes can have. This lesson teaches you the proper medical terminology for all of these and more!
8. Terminology of Eye-Related Diagnostic Procedures
How do we diagnose problems with the eye? What problems are there to diagnose? This lesson goes over some of the diagnostic procedures of the eyes and vision.
9. Eyeball, Eyelid & Orbit Procedure Vocabulary
The cornea, conjunctiva, orbit, eye, and even fluid within the eye can all have procedures performed on them. This lesson will define many of these, such as vitrectomy, iridectomy, keratoplasty, and many others.
10. Cataracts, Lenses & Laser Eye Treatment Vocabulary
Sound waves, light waves, and just plain surgery can all be used to correct your vision. Whether it's the famous LASIK or phacoemulsification, this lesson defines many of these corrective procedures that help a person see better.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 103: Medical Terminology course
- Overview of Medical Terminology
- Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terms for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Overview & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary for Genetics, Cells & Tissues
- Terminology for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Medical Terms for the Skeletal System
- Terminology & Functions of the Muscular System
- Terminology for the Cardiovascular System
- Medical Terms for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathology, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Medical Terminology for the Urinary System
- Medical Terminology for the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions & Treatment
- Medical Terms Related to the Ears
- Medical Terms for the Integumentary System
- Medical Terms for the Endocrine System
- Medical Terminology for the Reproductive Systems
- Medical Terms for Diagnostic Exams
- Medical Terms for Radiology, Pharmacology & Oncology