About This Chapter
Medical Terms for Diagnostic Exams - Chapter Summary
Learn all about medical terms used for diagnostic exams by reviewing this chapter's fun lessons. Developed by top instructors, the lessons ensure you fully understand terminology for physical and chemical blood tests, urinalysis, vital signs and much more. Navigate the lessons in your sequence of choice, and visit them as many times as you'd like. If you hit a snag or need additional information about lesson topics, don't hesitate to send questions to our experts. Multiple-choice quizzes and a practice exam can assess your knowledge of the lessons. Once you've completed this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Discuss basic terminology for vital signs
- List basic terms for the systemic exam
- Define terminology for medical instruments
- Describe basic physical exam terminology for abnormal sounds
- Share vocabulary for important physical exam positions
- Identify terms for blood count tests, physical blood tests and chemical blood tests
- Define terminology for urinalysis
1. Vital Signs: Basic Physical Exam Terminology
This lesson will cover the terms that are most commonly associated with taking vital signs as part of a basic physical exam. We will look at the normal ranges for vital signs and discuss the terms for abnormal vital signs.
2. Systemic Exam: Basic Physical Exam Terminology
In this lesson, we will look at the various parts of the assessment portion of the basic physical exam, including the way in which the assessment is done and what the doctor is looking for.
3. Medical Instruments: Basic Physical Exam Terminology
This lesson is going to introduce the instruments that are used by the doctor during a basic physical exam. We will look at how and where the instruments are used.
4. Abnormal Sounds: Basic Physical Exam Terminology
We are going to discuss the different abnormal sounds that may be observed when doing a basic physical exam and what they may tell the doctor is going on in the body.
5. Important Physical Exam Positions & Vocabulary
Did you know that when the doctor asks you to lie down on a table in a certain way, there's actually a name for the position you are taking? This lesson covers the names of some of these basic positions.
6. Blood Count Test Terminology
We are going to discuss how healthcare professionals get counts of the various types of cells in blood. We will cover normal ranges and the names used when the counts are not normal.
7. Physical Blood Tests: Terminology
This lesson is going to cover the physical properties of blood that are tested. We will look at the normal ranges and find out what abnormal test results may indicate.
8. Chemical Blood Tests: Terminology
This lesson addresses the various tests that are done to check the chemical composition of blood. We will become familiar with the normal ranges and learn what abnormal ranges could indicate for a patient.
9. Terminology of Urinalysis
This lesson will cover terms related to urinalysis, including: urinary pH, specific gravity, albuminuria, proteinuria, glycosuria, creatinuria, bacteriuria, and others. Be sure to test your new knowledge with a quick quiz after watching the video.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 103: Medical Terminology course
- Overview of Medical Terminology
- Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terms for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Overview & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary for Genetics, Cells & Tissues
- Terminology for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Medical Terms for the Skeletal System
- Terminology & Functions of the Muscular System
- Terminology for the Cardiovascular System
- Medical Terms for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathology, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Medical Terminology for the Urinary System
- Medical Terminology for the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions & Treatment
- Medical Terminology Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terms Related to the Ears
- Medical Terms for the Integumentary System
- Medical Terms for the Endocrine System
- Medical Terminology for the Reproductive Systems
- Medical Terms for Radiology, Pharmacology & Oncology