About This Chapter
Medical Terms for the Endocrine System - Chapter Summary
Study medical terms for the endocrine system with this collection of simple and mobile-friendly lessons. Inside the chapter, you'll find concise definitions of endocrine system structures, as well as easy-to-understand explanations of the system's main functions. You can work through the chapter at your own pace and take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to check your understanding of the terms you've studied. After working through these lessons, you should be able to:
- Recognize the endocrine system's structures and functions
- Evaluate the functions of important hormones
- Identify common endocrine system disorders
1. Structures & Functions of the Endocrine System
This lesson will cover the basics of the endocrine system. We will discuss different types of hormones and examine how the glands and hormones work together to make up this system.
2. The Functions of Important Hormones
This lesson presents the function of each of the major hormones in the body and identifies the gland that secretes it. Take the short self-assessment quiz when you are through.
3. Disorders of the Endocrine System
Your endocrine system is an important part of your body because it produces and regulates hormones. When it doesn't work correctly, this can lead to serious problems with growth, mood, and more.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 103: Medical Terminology course
- Overview of Medical Terminology
- Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terms for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Overview & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary for Genetics, Cells & Tissues
- Terminology for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Medical Terms for the Skeletal System
- Terminology & Functions of the Muscular System
- Terminology for the Cardiovascular System
- Medical Terms for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathology, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Medical Terminology for the Urinary System
- Medical Terminology for the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions & Treatment
- Medical Terminology Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terms Related to the Ears
- Medical Terms for the Integumentary System
- Medical Terminology for the Reproductive Systems
- Medical Terms for Diagnostic Exams
- Medical Terms for Radiology, Pharmacology & Oncology