About This Chapter
Medical Terms for the Integumentary System - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter offer concise definitions of integumentary system medical terminology. As you work through the chapter, you'll review terms associated with the functions of the integumentary system, as well as diagnostics and treatments related to skin, hair and nail disorders. Take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes and chapter exam to make sure you fully understand the terms you've studied. You can also submit questions to our instructors and access the chapter at your convenience. After working through these lessons, you should be able to:
- Understand how the integumentary system functions
- Recognize the structure and layers of human skin
- Evaluate skin and hair pathologies
- Break down lesion nomenclature
- Define medical terms related to skin condition diagnostics and treatments
- Identify common nail diseases and disorders
- Comprehend terms associated with the prevention and treatment of neoplastic skin growths
1. What is the Function of the Integumentary System?
In this lesson, we'll explore the function of the different parts of the integumentary system, which protects the body. We will look at how the skin and its accessory organs work together.
2. Human Skin: Layers, Function & Structure
This lesson will cover the three main layers of your skin, which includes the epidermis, dermis, and subcutis. In addition, we'll learn about other skin cells and tissue, such as adipose tissue, keratinocytes, melanocytes, and Merkel's cells.
3. Skin Pathologies: Inflammatory & Allergic Eruptions
In this lesson, discover terms used to classify inflammatory skin conditions and their symptoms, including pruritus, erythema, psoriasis, dermatitis, erythema multiforme, urticaria, scleroderma, and ichthyosis.
4. Skin Pathologies: Sweating Disorders Vocabulary
Sweating happens to everyone at one time or another. This perspiration serves a valuable purpose, but to those with sweat gland dysfunction, it can become a problem. Learn the terminology used to describe sweat gland disorders in this lesson.
5. Nomenclature of Skin Lesions: Primary Lesions
The skin is a wonderfully resilient organ, but at times it is unable to stop a growth or lesion from forming. In this lesson, discover many different types of skin lesions, their significance, and a pictorial representation for each.
6. Nomenclature of Skin Lesions: Secondary Lesions
In this lesson, explore the land of secondary skin lesions, or places where skin tissue has been injured by an outside influence. In order to help you envision this exciting dermatological terrain, terms ranging from crust to ulceration are defined, discussed, and given a descriptive picture.
7. Skin Lesion Nomenclature: Bruises, Birthmarks & Burns
In this lesson, you'll learn the terminology to describe bruises, burns, and birthmarks. We've all run into something, touched an item that was too hot, and been born, so you'll be able to relate to some, if not all, the terms we're about to cover!
8. Infectious Skin Conditions & Treatments: Medical Terms
Our skin, coupled with our immune system, provides a strong defense against germs that want to harm us. However, sometimes the germs prevail and infection sets in. In this lesson, you'll become familiar with the terminology for various infections of the skin.
9. Pathologies of the Hair
Often, if we think about our hair, it's only to wish we had someone else's! But for an individual with a hair disorder, returning to his original hair becomes the greatest desire. In this lesson, learn the medical terms used to describe hair pathologies.
10. Nail Diseases & Disorders
Our nails are an important extension of ourselves, literally! In this lesson, learn the terminology of various nail maladies, including: clubbing, koilonychia, onychophagia, onychocryptosis, paronychia, onychia, and onychomycosis.
11. Diagnosing Skin Conditions
What's that growing on my skin!? Discover the tools dermatologists use to accurately diagnose skin growths and disorders. Terminology explained in this lesson include shave biopsy, punch biopsy, bacterial skin culture, and fungal skin culture.
12. Terms for Preventing & Treating Neoplastic Skin Growths
Sadly, skin cancer is a growing epidemic in our nation. In this lesson, we explore the associated risk factors, prevention techniques, and treatment procedures used to eradicate various types of skin cancer.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 103: Medical Terminology course
- Overview of Medical Terminology
- Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terms for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Overview & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary for Genetics, Cells & Tissues
- Terminology for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Medical Terms for the Skeletal System
- Terminology & Functions of the Muscular System
- Terminology for the Cardiovascular System
- Medical Terms for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathology, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Medical Terminology for the Urinary System
- Medical Terminology for the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions & Treatment
- Medical Terminology Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terms Related to the Ears
- Medical Terms for the Endocrine System
- Medical Terminology for the Reproductive Systems
- Medical Terms for Diagnostic Exams
- Medical Terms for Radiology, Pharmacology & Oncology