About This Chapter
Medical Terms for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
How do the lymphatic and immune systems fight off infection and cancer? Here, you will find brief, engaging video lessons to help you learn about the essential medical terminology used to communicate and understand the intricacies of the lymphatic and immune systems. Subject-matter experts are only a click away to answer any questions you have. Complete the self-assessment quizzes for each lesson to ensure you comprehend what you set out to learn. By the end of these lessons, you'll be able to:
- Name the components of the lymphatic system and understand their function
- Recognize and define terminology and testing methods for diseases of the lymphatic system
- Explain types of immune dysfunction, such as allergies, autoimmune disorders and immunodeficiency states, and detail how to diagnose them
- Detail immunotherapy, antibodies and drugs used in treating disease of the immune system
- Differentiate between the various doctors who specialize in lymphatic and immune system treatment, such as allergists, immunologists and oncologists
- Relate information about the large defensive systems of the body
- Describe vocabulary related to antigens and antibodies
- Share information about the immune system at the cellular level
1. What is the Lymphatic System? - Structures, Function & Vocabulary
Your lymphatic system is an important part of your body's defense team. Learn about structures of the lymphatic system, such as the lymphatic vessels, spleen, thymus gland, tonsils and Peyer's patches, and the roles they play in keeping you healthy.
2. Vocabulary for Major Pathology & Diagnostics of the Lymphatic System
This lesson is chock full of terms related to the pathologies of the lymphatic system. From the differences between lymphadenitis, lymphadenopathy, and lymphadenomegaly, to splenorrhagia and more!
3. Large Defensive Systems of the Body: Vocabulary
How do you defend yourself? How does your body defend you? The skin and the respiratory, digestive, and lymphatic systems are all involved, and this lesson shows you how.
4. Vocabulary of Antigens and Antibodies
This lesson defines several core terms used in to describe the immune system's response to a foreign substance: antigens, antibodies, allergens, and immunoglobulins.
5. The Immune System at the Cellular Level: Terminology
This lesson defines several terms related to the microscopic aspects of the immune system: immunity, lymphocytes, B cells, T cells, macrophages, dendritic cells, complements, interferon, and lymphokines.
6. Medical Terms for Major Pathology & Diagnostics of the Immune System
You have a pretty good internal police force in your body known as the immune system. And just like a police force, sometimes our immune systems can do things they're not supposed to. Find out what can go wrong in this lesson.
7. Medical Terms for Treatments Related to the Immune System
While our immune system is there to protect us, it can sometimes overstep its bounds and hurt us, or it can be too weak to help us out. That's why we turn to immunotherapy, which can help in either instance.
8. Terms for Medical Specialists of the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
Your body is made up of many different cells that can go crazy on you, causing diseases from asthma to cancer. Thankfully, there are people who can help. Learn who they are in this lesson on medical specialists of the immune and lymphatic systems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Medical Terminology: Help & Review course
- Fundamentals of Medical Terminology
- Basic Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terminology for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Basics & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Basics for Genetics, Cells & Structures
- Oncology Basics & Terms
- Medical Terminology for the Skeletal System
- Vocabulary for the Muscular System & Its Functions
- Vocabulary for the Cardiovascular System
- Terminology for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for Diagnosis & Treatment of Respiratory Diseases
- Medical Vocabulary for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathologies
- GI Tract Diagnosis & Treatment Terminology
- Medical Terms for the Urinary System
- Terminology of the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions
- Terminology for Diagnostics & Treatments of the Nervous System
- Medical Terms Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terminology Related to the Ears
- Terminology for the Integumentary System
- Terminology for The Endocrine System & Hormones
- Endocrine Gland Disorder Vocabulary
- Pancreatic Disorder Vocabulary
- Adrenal Gland Disorder Terminology
- Male Reproductive System & STDs: Medical Terminology
- Female Reproductive System: Medical Terminology
- Medical Terminology for Major Pathogens
- Medical Terminology Used for Diagnosis & Pharmacology