About This Chapter
Medical Terms for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter examine medical terms related to the human respiratory system. Follow along with our expert instructors to define and contextualize vocabulary for the respiratory system's gross anatomy, disorders, diseases and treatments. Following each lesson is a short quiz to help you solidify your understanding of these medical terms. If you have any questions, you can easily reach out to one of our instructors for extra help. Finally, the flexible online format of the chapter allows you to study at any time and anywhere that's convenient. Reviewing these lessons can equip you to:
- Analyze the gross anatomy of the airway and lungs
- Assess the function of pleural membranes and cavities
- Identify diseases that affect the upper respiratory system
- Break down disorders that affect breathing, the lungs and other respiratory system parts
- Comprehend terms related to oxygen deficiency, tuberculosis and pneumonia
- Understand the terms associated with respiratory disease diagnostic imaging
- Define terminology for respiratory problems and medication treatments
- Recognize respiratory system abbreviations
1. Gross Anatomy of the Airway and Lungs: Conducting & Respiratory Zones
The respiratory system includes the lungs as well as other organs that help to get oxygen into the blood and carbon dioxide out of the blood. The conducting zone of the respiratory system carries oxygen into the lungs and carbon dioxide out of the lungs. The respiratory zone is where oxygen and carbon dioxide move into and out of the blood.
2. Function of Pleural Cavities and Pleural Membranes
Each lung is contained within a pleural cavity, the space between the outside of the lung and inside of the chest wall. Pleural membranes cover the outside of the lungs and line the inside of the chest wall. The lungs remain expanded when we breathe due to a vacuum effect within the pleural cavity.
3. Diseases of the Upper Respiratory System Terminology
This lesson will define many different upper respiratory infections, diseases, and disorders: upper respiratory infection, influenza, pertussis, croup, diphtheria, allergic rhinitis, rhinorrhea, and epistaxis. Once you've completed this lesson, take the quiz to test your new knowledge.
4. Terms for Disorders of the Pharynx, Larynx & Voice
This lesson is going to cover several different terms related to disorders affecting the throat and voice box: pharyngitis, laryngitis, laryngospasms, laryngoplegia, aphonia, and dysphonia.
5. Words for Disorders of the Trachea, Bronchi & Pleural Cavity
This lesson is going to go over many terms related to conditions affecting the pleural cavity, as well as a couple related to the trachea and bronchi: tracheorrhagia, bronchorrhea, pleural effusions of all kinds, pleurodynia, pleurisy, and much more.
6. Terminology Related to the Disorders of the Lung
This lesson is going to briefly discuss acute respiratory distress syndrome and define pulmonary edema and pneumorrhagia, as well as differentiate pneumothorax from atelectasis.
7. Tuberculosis & Pneumonia Terminology
This lesson will discuss specific terminology related to tuberculosis and mainly pneumonia. We'll look at the words pneumo-, bronchopneumonia, lobar pneumonia, aspiration pneumonia, and more.
8. Vocabulary for Breathing Disorders
This lesson is going to define eupnea, apnea, and dyspnea, and it will delineate between tachypnea, bradypnea, hyperpnea, hypopnea, hyperventilation, and hypoventilation.
9. Terminology Related to Oxygen Deficiency
This lesson defines the many terms related to a lack of oxygen in the body: anoxia, hypoxia, hypoxemia, hypercapnia, asphyxia, asphyxiation, and cyanosis. After you've completed the lesson, use our brief quiz to see how many terms you recall.
10. Diagnostic Imaging for Respiratory Diseases: Terminology
This lesson addresses the ways doctors can diagnose respiratory problems using diagnostic imaging techniques. Learn about procedures such as chest imaging, bronchoscopy, and laryngoscopy.
11. Testing for Respiratory Problems: Terminology
This lesson defines several different types of tests used to diagnose respiratory problems: sputum cytology, spirometry, pulmonary function tests, pulse oximetry and peak flow meter. Then, test your memorization of the terms with our quick quiz.
12. Terminology for Medications for Respiratory Diseases
This lesson covers some of the major kinds of medications (general classes) used for respiratory disease as well as their administration. Terms include: bronchodilator, nebulizer, meter-dose inhaler, antitussive and dry powder inhaler.
13. Abbreviations for the Respiratory System A-M
This lesson is going to go over quite a few different abbreviation associated with the respiratory system (A-M), including BR, Br, BRO, CSB, CF, COPD, CPR, ARF, ARDS, and many others.
14. Abbreviations for the Respiratory System N-Z
This lesson discusses some common abbreviations related to the respiratory system (starting with letters N-Z). These include NG, OSA, O2, PCP, PNO, PPV, URI, and SIDS.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 103: Medical Terminology course
- Overview of Medical Terminology
- Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terms for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Overview & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary for Genetics, Cells & Tissues
- Terminology for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Medical Terms for the Skeletal System
- Terminology & Functions of the Muscular System
- Terminology for the Cardiovascular System
- Terminology for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathology, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Medical Terminology for the Urinary System
- Medical Terminology for the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions & Treatment
- Medical Terminology Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terms Related to the Ears
- Medical Terms for the Integumentary System
- Medical Terms for the Endocrine System
- Medical Terminology for the Reproductive Systems
- Medical Terms for Diagnostic Exams
- Medical Terms for Radiology, Pharmacology & Oncology