About This Chapter
Medical Terms Related to the Ears - Chapter Summary
Whether you know a little or a lot about medical terms related to the ears, this informative chapter can help you boost your comprehension. Enjoy access to entertaining lessons that define terms related to pathologies, disorders and conditions associated with ears. View these lessons anytime using any computer or mobile device to align your study of the terms with your unique schedule. Assess your comprehension by taking multiple-choice quizzes and a practice exam. When finished, you should be able to do the following:
- List the parts of the ears
- Define outer ear pathology terms
- Outline terms for middle ear disorders
- Discuss otitis media terminology
- Identify vocabulary for inner ear conditions and hearing loss
- Describe the diagnosis of hearing problems
- Share terminology for ear-related problems
1. The Parts of the Ears
Your ears are made up of three main parts, the external ear, middle ear, and internal ear. Sound waves move into your external ear causing the eardrum to vibrate, which moves the tiny bones of your middle ear, and then it's on to the internal ear.
2. Outer Ear Pathology Terms
Besides ear wax, has anything else ever come out of your ear? If so, or if you're just wondering what can, then take a look here as we go over pathologies of the outer ear.
3. Middle Ear Disorder Terminology
Trauma and inflammation in the middle ear can cause pain and hearing difficulties. This lesson outlines some of the common disorders associated with the middle ear. Test your understanding by completing the quiz at the end of the lesson.
4. Otitis Media Terminology: Middle Ear Disease
Have you ever had a middle ear infection? If so, do you know what kind you had? There are many kinds of middle ear infection, and you'll discover the proper terminology and look at some of the different kinds of infection in this lesson.
5. Inner Ear Condition Vocabulary
Have you ever had that annoying ringing in your ears? Do you know what that's called and why it occurs? You can learn about that and vertigo here as we look at conditions involving the inner ear.
6. Hearing Loss Vocabulary
What does it really mean to be deaf? What types of hearing loss are there? This lesson defines deafness, odd terms, like presbycusis, and several types of hearing loss.
7. Diagnosing Hearing Problems
If you watch the video version of this lesson, I hope your speakers are turned up so you can hear everything that is covered! In this lesson, we'll address some important vocabulary related to diagnosing hearing problems.
8. Treatment & Terminology of Ear-Related Problems
Your ear is composed of three different sections, each of which has its own procedures that can be performed to restore function, treat a condition, or just for looks. Take a listen to this lesson and find out what some of these are.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 103: Medical Terminology course
- Overview of Medical Terminology
- Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terms for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Overview & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary for Genetics, Cells & Tissues
- Terminology for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Medical Terms for the Skeletal System
- Terminology & Functions of the Muscular System
- Terminology for the Cardiovascular System
- Medical Terms for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathology, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Medical Terminology for the Urinary System
- Medical Terminology for the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions & Treatment
- Medical Terminology Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terms for the Integumentary System
- Medical Terms for the Endocrine System
- Medical Terminology for the Reproductive Systems
- Medical Terms for Diagnostic Exams
- Medical Terms for Radiology, Pharmacology & Oncology