About This Chapter
Medication Management for Nursing - Chapter Summary
Our instructors provide in-depth analyses of polypharmacy, alternative medicine and other forms of medication management used in the nursing field. Review bite-sized lessons to closely examine ways to safely manage patient medication and properly administer and monitor drugs. By completing this chapter, you will be able to:
- Identify the principle sites and routes of drug administration found on the body
- List and describe factors that influence medication action and effectiveness
- Discuss the impact polypharmacy has on adult health
- Outline the procedure for monitoring a drug therapy regimen
- Define and list types and examples of alternative medicine
Customize your use of the study resources in this chapter based on your personal schedule and current understanding of medication management for nursing. Enjoy the ability to select any lessons you prefer, and also take advantage of 24/7 access using any computer or mobile device. If you hit a snag or need additional details about topics covered in the lessons, feel free to submit questions to our experts. Before the day of your test, assess your knowledge of this chapter by taking our mini quizzes and practice exam.
1. Principal Routes & Sites of Drug Administration
How are drugs administered into the body and where? If they are injected, where should they be injected? This lesson goes over the principal routes and sites we use to administer drugs in medicine.
2. Factors Influencing Medication Action & Effectiveness
This lesson will give you an understanding of the fact that doctors and nurses must take many important factors into account when giving a person a drug.
3. Impact of Polypharmacy on Adult Health
In this lesson, we will review the definition of polypharmacy, as well as learn the impact it has on adult health. We will also learn what improvements can be made to prevent complications from polypharmacy.
4. How to Monitor a Drug Therapy Regimen
As a pharmacist, one of your most important jobs is monitoring the drug therapy regimens your patients are involved in. This lesson discusses what it means to monitor a drug therapy regimen successfully.
5. Alternative Medicine: Definition, Types & Examples
There seems to be an alternative to everything nowadays. Alternative rock, alternative facts and, of course, alternative medicine. We'll stick to discussing the latter in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing