About This Chapter
Medicinal Herbology - Chapter Summary
Fun lessons in this chapter offer an engaging overview of medicinal herbology. Gain full comprehension of the uses of milk thistle, side effects of valerian root, varieties of ajuga reptans and much more with help from our expert instructors. Test your knowledge of the lessons by taking multiple-choice quizzes and our practice exam. If you think up questions, feel free to submit them to our experts using the Dashboard. When finished with this chapter, you will be able to:
- Define and list types of medicinal herbology
- Discuss the history of herbal medicine
- Explain the uses, dosage and drug interactions of valerian root
- Describe the medicinal uses and chemical constituents of ajuga parviflora
- Share details about the medicinal uses of ajuga reptans
- List the health benefits of milk thistle
- Provide facts about the dosage, side effects and overdose symptoms of milk thistle
- Discuss milk thistle's drug interactions and contraindications
- Compare and contrast milk thistle and blessed thistle
1. What is Medicinal Herbology? - Definition & Types
Medication is used to treat a variety of diseases, illnesses, and symptoms that otherwise would prevent us from leading normal lives. Read this lesson to learn more about the ancestor of today's medicine, herbal medicine, and how it still remains present in today's healthcare practices.
2. Herbal Medicine History
Herbal medicine has many powerful benefits that have become a practice rich in history and tradition. Read this lesson to learn how herbal medicine gained respect among healers thousands of years ago and why this practice remains relevant today.
3. Valerian Root: Side Effects & Drug Interactions
This lesson will describe the herb called valerian root (valeriana officenalis) and the side effects posed when consuming such an herb. The drug interactions will also be uncovered and explained.
4. Valerian Root: Uses & Dosage
This lesson goes over a very smelly, but very popular herb known as valerian root. Find out what it's commonly used for and what its possible doses are for various formulations.
5. Ajuga Parviflora: Medicinal Uses & Chemical Constituents
In this lesson, we're going to go over the chemical constituents and medical uses of a relatively rare and little-heard of plant known scientifically as Ajuga parviflora.
6. Ajuga Reptans: Varieties & their Medicinal Uses
In this lesson, you're going to learn a little bit about a plant known scientifically as Ajuga reptans. You'll learn about its varieties as well as its purported medical benefits.
7. Milk Thistle: Uses & Health Benefits
Natural and herbal remedies are very popular. There are many different kinds of herbs available to treat a collection of ailments. This lesson plan will discuss the herbal supplement milk thistle by describing the uses and health benefits.
8. Milk Thistle: Dosage, Side Effects & Overdose Symptoms
Milk thistle is a herbal drug that has been used for thousands of years to treat many different health problems. Be sure to read this lesson to learn all about this herbal remedy, including its dosage, side effects, and overdose symptoms.
9. Milk Thistle: Drug Interactions & Contraindications
This lesson will discuss the herb milk thistle and its uses as a medicinal plant. You will also learn about the interactions it can have with other medications, safety concerns, and contraindications.
10. Milk Thistle vs. Blessed Thistle
This lesson explores two herbal supplements used to holistically manage both men and women, milk thistle and blessed thistle. The two remedies will be compared to help provide a better understanding of their unique functions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Pharmacology course
- History & Types of Pharmacology
- Basics of Pharmacology
- Formulas & Calculations for Pharmacology
- Dosage Analysis in Pharmacology
- Pharmacology & Physiology
- Respiratory Medications
- Endocrine System Medications
- Therapeutic Responses in Pharmacology
- Stimulants & Pharmacology
- Alternative Medicine & Pharmacology
- Alternative Medicine for Digestive Issues
- Reproductive Health & Pharmacology
- Cancer, Abnormal Cells & Pharmacology
- 5-HT3 Antagonist Drugs
- Anorectic Medications
- Medications for Colds & Coughs
- Medications for Infection Control
- Understanding & Administering Doxycycline
- Anticonvulsant Medications
- Overview of Antihistamines
- Understanding & Administering Loratadine
- Overview of Cholinergic Drugs
- GABA Analogue Medications
- Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs
- Sodium Channel Blockers
- Understanding Steroids
- Uric Acid Reducers
- Anesthesia & Pharmacology