About This Chapter
Meetings, Conventions, Expositions & Special Events - Chapter Summary
This chapter helps you compare and contrast different types of meeting services, such as business meetings, conventions, special events and expositions. Our expert instructors also show you how to prepare for a productive meeting and what destination management companies provide for the hospitality industry. After completing a lesson, take the accompanying self-assessment quiz to make sure you've understood the material. You can monitor your progress through the chapter on your course Dashboard and study at any time that fits your schedule.
Reviewing the lessons in this chapter can help you:
- Differentiate between formal and informal business meetings
- Identify the components that are needed in order to prepare for a successful and productive meeting
- Explain the differences between conventions, expositions and other special events
- Understand what destination management companies (DMCs) do
1. Types of Business Meetings: Formal & Informal
Meetings are definitely a part of the business culture that cannot be avoided. Some meetings you may look forward to, while others you may dread. Find out the differences between formal and informal meetings, and what you should expect from each.
2. Preparing, Conducting, and Contributing to Productive Meetings
There are a few key elements that should be considered when planning for a productive meeting. Organizing an effective meeting is a monumental task that involves preparing, conducting and contributing valuable ideas, resources and information in order to be successful.
3. Types of Meetings, Conventions, Expositions & Special Events
Whether you are planning an event or attending one, there are many factors that must be considered. There are many options in meetings, conventions, expositions, and special events, as discussed in this lesson.
4. Destination Management Companies: Contractors & Conventions
A destination management company is a helpful resource for event planners and organizers. This lesson explains what the companies offer, the way they help with planning events, and how they can lessen the stress and anxiety for event planners.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 101: Introduction to Hospitality course
- Hospitality Industry Overview
- Leadership & Management in the Hospitality Industry
- Key Management Functions in the Hospitality Industry
- Communication & Decision-Making in the Hospitality Industry
- Improving Service in the Hospitality Industry
- Planning & Organizing in the Hospitality Industry
- Control Systems & Issues in the Hospitality Industry
- Hotel Classifications & Operations
- Food, Beverage & Alcohol Operations
- Restaurant Organization & Operations Overview
- Tourism & Recreation
- Gaming Industry Overview
- Studying for Hospitality 101