About This Chapter
MEGA Chemistry: Science & Society - Chapter Summary
Although we may not always be fully aware of all of its applications, science plays a very large role in our functioning as individuals and a society. Explore the ways science and society are interwoven by examining the topics outlined in these video lessons, including:
- Using technology and science to resolve societal issues and how it has historically changed society
- Understanding green chemistry and its association with source reduction
- Chemistry applications in medical imaging
- Factors that shape society, including science, technology and economic activity
- Mass media coverage of scientific and technological developments
- Review of the advances in science and technology since 1945
Scientific advancements and new developments are happening all around us, all the time. Upon reviewing the information in this chapter, you'll be able to relate those constant advancements to the way our culture and society have been shaped by them. Fully prepare for these types of questions on the MEGA Chemistry exam by taking advantage of this comprehensive study guide chapter that includes lesson quizzes, a chapter exam, video transcripts and full access to instructors. Each quiz also contains direct links to specific topics within the lesson so you can quickly and conveniently refer back to information you want to review.
1. How Science & Technology Can Be Used to Solve Society's Problems
What is science and technology, and how do we use them to solve society's problems? Learn about the many advances humans have made thanks to science, then test your knowledge with a quiz.
2. What Is Green Chemistry? Definition & Relation to Source Reduction
Green is not just a color, but also a way of doing things. In this lesson, we will explore the technique of green chemistry and how it applies to the waste management industry.
3. How Medical Imaging Uses Chemistry
In this lesson, you will learn about several types of medical imaging: ultrasound, MRI, and X-ray. You will also learn how chemistry is used in each type of medical imaging.
4. How Science Has Changed Society
Without science, our modern world just wouldn't be the same. The way we travel, shop, learn, socialize, eat, work, and play is possible because of scientific influences and innovations. Take a look around, and you'll see science pretty much everywhere!
5. How Science, Technology & Economic Activity Shape Societies
After watching this video, you will be able to explain how science, technology and economic activity have shaped human societies, from the agricultural revolution to the Industrial Revolution to the digital age. A short quiz will follow.
6. Science in the Mass Media
Learn about the importance of the mass media to communicate scientific discoveries and the many issues with how that communication happens. See how well you understand by taking a quiz.
7. The Advance of Science & Technology Since 1945: Developments & Impact
In this lesson, we explore just a few of the numerous advances and innovations made in the worlds of sciences and technology, from automobiles and televisions to computers and phones that can fit in the palm of your hand.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Chemistry: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Chemistry: Scientific Research & Measurement
- MEGA Chemistry: Historical Developments & Theories
- MEGA Chemistry: Properties of Matter
- MEGA Chemistry: Atomic Structure
- MEGA Chemistry: Liquids, Solids & Phase Changes
- MEGA Chemistry: Gas Laws
- MEGA Chemistry: Thermodynamics
- MEGA Chemistry: Chemical Bonding
- MEGA Chemistry: Inorganic & Organic Compounds
- MEGA Chemistry: Chemical Reactions
- MEGA Chemistry: Chemical Equilibrium
- MEGA Chemistry: Acids & Bases
- MEGA Chemistry: Redox Reactions & Electrochemistry
- MEGA Chemistry: Stoichiometry & Chemical Equations
- MEGA Chemistry: Solutions