About This Chapter
MEGA Chemistry: Scientific Research & Measurement - Chapter Summary
You can make studying for the MEGA Chemistry assessment easier than ever by taking advantage of the quality resources in this chapter. Explore lessons you can use to get reacquainted with scientific research and measurement. In no time, you will be able to:
- Share the history and major branches of chemistry, and understand steps and terms associated with the scientific method
- Explain the importance of using appropriate tools for scientific tests and data collection
- Provide details about sampling techniques in scientific investigations
- Demonstrate your ability to interpret tables, graphs and charts of scientific data
- Describe significant figures, scientific notation and how to measure temperature in the lab
- Discuss chemistry lab safety, accuracy procedures and equipment
- List key components and processes involved in reading and understanding scientific texts
- Define engineering design, and discuss similarities among systems in math
Additional resources in this chapter that can help you prepare for the exam include full transcripts and highlighted vocabulary words you can use to deepen your comprehension of the lessons. You can also access self-assessment quizzes and a chapter exam that reinforce lesson concepts. If you have questions about the topics in this chapter, don't hesitate to submit them to our experts.
1. What is Chemistry? - Definition, History & Branches
Known as the central science, chemistry is integral to our understanding of the natural world around us. In this lesson, you'll be introduced to the field of chemistry, learning about its history and its modern applications.
2. The Scientific Method: Steps, Terms & Examples
The scientific method is more than just hypotheses and experiments. In this lesson, we'll explore the themes and variations that make up the world of science.
3. Using Appropriate Tools for Scientific Tests & Data Collection
A properly run experiment depends on using the right tools, both for data collection and analysis. In the end, it will save you time, money and frustration to spend some time planning out which tools are most appropriate for your work.
4. Sampling Techniques In Scientific Investigations
We can learn a lot by gathering information from a small subset of a larger group. By sampling this smaller group, scientists can save time and money while still gaining a good understanding of the population as a whole.
5. Interpreting Tables of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Complex table problems getting you down? Multi-question, situational problems don't have to be a drag on your testing performance. Learn how to apply three simple rules as we walk through two table problems together.
6. Interpreting Graphs and Charts of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Do charts and graphs make problem-solving difficult? Complex problems with visual representations can drain your brain during a test. In this lesson, learn three simple rules for solving problems with charts and graphs. We'll try them out as we walk through two sample problems.
7. Significant Figures and Scientific Notation
Are 7.5 grams and 7.50 grams the same? How do scientists represent very large and very small quantities? Find out the answers to these questions in this video.
8. Measuring Temperature in the Lab: Instruments & Process
In this lesson, discover what temperature is a measurement of while learning how to properly measure temperature in a lab. Learn about the important instruments needed for this essential lab skill.
9. Chemistry Lab Safety & Accuracy Procedures & Equipment
Working safely and collecting accurate data are the two most important parts of working in a chemistry lab. This lesson will give tips so you can succeed in both areas.
10. Chemistry Lab Equipment: Supplies, Glassware & More
When you bake a cake, you use different tools for each step in the process: a bowl for mixing, cups for measuring ingredients and an oven for baking. In this lesson, you will discover the name and purpose of many of the different tools that are used in the chemistry lab.
11. Reading & Understanding Scientific Texts
Peer-reviewed scientific journals are much denser than your average reading material. In this lesson we will discuss how to find a good scientific journal article, and then how to read it.
12. Engineering Design: Definition & Process
In this lesson, we will define engineering design and explain the engineering design process from defining the problem to testing and redesigning the final product.
13. Similarities Among Systems in Mathematics, Science & Technology
How do the concepts of balance and equilibrium extend throughout science and mathematics? How does solving algebraic equations parallel chemical equilibrium within a solution? See how crucial balance is in our universe as well as how mathematics is used to describe these constant equilibriums.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Chemistry: Practice & Study Guide course
- MEGA Chemistry: Historical Developments & Theories
- MEGA Chemistry: Science & Society
- MEGA Chemistry: Properties of Matter
- MEGA Chemistry: Atomic Structure
- MEGA Chemistry: Liquids, Solids & Phase Changes
- MEGA Chemistry: Gas Laws
- MEGA Chemistry: Thermodynamics
- MEGA Chemistry: Chemical Bonding
- MEGA Chemistry: Inorganic & Organic Compounds
- MEGA Chemistry: Chemical Reactions
- MEGA Chemistry: Chemical Equilibrium
- MEGA Chemistry: Acids & Bases
- MEGA Chemistry: Redox Reactions & Electrochemistry
- MEGA Chemistry: Stoichiometry & Chemical Equations
- MEGA Chemistry: Solutions
- MEGA Chemistry Flashcards